removing screws from a tiled wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of a silly question.
I needed to change a grab rail in a shower because it was rusting. Unfortunately two of the screw heads snapped off from the screws (also rusted) when I tried to remove them. So I now have two small bits of screws protruding from the tiles, with not enough protruding to get a grip to try to turn them.
Does anyone have any idea how I can either remove the screws or otherwise proceed.

If this is the wrong forum let me know where it should be, and I move there.

Sponsored Links
open your cordless drill or drill drivers chuck
close around the screw shank low gear minimum revs

if you only have a mains drill
unplug from the wall

select high gear
tighten as above
rotate drill body by hand

open your cordless drill or drill drivers chuck
close around the screw shank low gear minimum revs ...etc.

Nice idea. unfortunately there isn't enough of the screw protruding to get a grip on it with the chuck jaws. Does anyone have any suggestions as what to do now?

Or do I have to try and file down the screws to below the tile surface and cover them with grout?

your less than 3mm protruding!!
i assume you have no spare tiles!!
or is there anywhere you can canabalise tiles from like behind a cabiner toilet cistern ect
another idea assuming you can see the plug
drill a 3mm hole to the side off thethe screw shank insert a no6 or metric 3.5mm screw about 5 turns and see if it pulls out this will be very very unlikly as the as the screw shank thats left should be holding the plug in firmly

Sponsored Links
cut off the remaining shank with a dremel or similar

dab it with oil-based primer tp prevent rust

re-grout over the top of it

is it not possible to put your new grab rail over the old fixings, AND maybe you will cover the old bits of screws and have to drill NEW holes to affix the new rail.

If not its a case of either filing the screw down or as said above use a dremmel or such tool then either grout or silicone over

cut off the remaining shank with a dremel or similar
dab it with oil-based primer tp prevent rust
re-grout over the top of it

Borrowed a neighbours dremel which worked a treat in grinding the screws to well below the surface, have rust treated and now grouted the holes over.

The new grab rail is now up :)

is it not possible to put your new grab rail over the old fixings, AND maybe you will cover the old bits of screws and have to drill NEW holes to affix the new rail.

unfortunately the new grab rail bases are flush and not raised, so nowhere to hide the bits of screws. Although the new grab rail was notionally the same size (18in) the screw holes didn't match the old ones; so I had to drill a new set of holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back