Removing sockets permanently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of dismantling a piece of built-in furniture in a house I've just bought. It contains a series of sockets, and a couple of tv aerial sockets.

I know very little about electrics, but these have to be removed safely. The picture attached shows the back of the panel to which the plugs are attached.

There are two round boxes, one at either end of the row of plugs. A cable (presumably, the ring main) runs into the first box; then another runs out into the first plug. Cables the link the sockets. Cable from final socket then enters round box at other end. And another cable runs out of this box and under the floorboards.

I know this is a laborious description (you can see it all clearly in the photo, anyway), but I just want to make sure I get things right here.

My question is, how can I remove this set of sockets? My instinct says to simply run a cable between the two boxes, i.e. replace the plugs with a cable... But I'm not going to do anything till Im sure!

Any information would be really appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes by linking one cable the other using one of the boxes.

You must use earth sleeving on the bare earth cable and to comply with the regs the join should be accessible, if this is not possible you require a maintenance free 30a joint box (Hager) make them.

To ensure safety ring continuity tests should be done on completion of the work.

Kind regards,

DS

Well, clearly you can simply join the two cables running to those round JBs and remove the 4 outer sockets on that loop of cable. Bear in mind that if the JB will end up inaccessible it should be a maintenance free one, for example the Ashley J803.

But that leaves those 2 in the middle - are they aerial sockets? Maybe a trick of the light and shade but it looks like twin & earth running to them.

And whats with the cable with the bare end?

Hi and thanks a lot for both replies, I appreciate the help.

The cable with the bare end was some old wiring which someone had left behind. I've just pulled it out.

Yeah, there seem to be 2x aerial cables in there. Not sure what to do with these; for the moment I've removed the sockets and gaffer taped over the bare ends, as a temporary fix. Any ideas on how these should be dealt with properly? (I won't be having a TV in this room in the future).

As for the mains circuit, I've connected them up in one JB for now; will have to get a maintenence free one as it won't be accessible - under floor boards.

Many thanks again...

Sponsored Links
As suggested in above posts, it seems a simple disconnection of the sockets from the two brown/black round junction boxes within the void.
Once removed the two cables can be rejoined by use of an MF junction box as linked https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html.

It could be either the circuit is a ring final or possible a radial circuit, would be difficult to tell without a visual inspection and a number of tests.
So using the 32A MF box would be the wiser option.

You do have a legal requirement to assure the work you carry out is performed and completed safely.

So safe isolation procedures prior to working on the circuit and electrical safety checks before putting the circuit back in to service would be advised.

Yeah, there seem to be 2x aerial cables in there. Not sure what to do with these; for the moment I've removed the sockets and gaffer taped over the bare ends, as a temporary fix. Any ideas on how these should be dealt with properly? (I won't be having a TV in this room in the future).
The best method will be to find where they originate from and disconnect them at the source.

Where they start from will depend on how it was wired, they may be direct from a satellite dish, or from a media distribution box/amp somewhere.

OK, thanks a lot for all the information...

I've a feeling one of those brown cables is from a satellite dish. I'll trace them both back and remove, if possible..

Will most likely be getting someone in in due course to do electrical work, as it's a bit of a renovation; will aim to get everything tested then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back