Removing solid fuel fire (Dual Feed)

Ok, need a bit of advice everyone :D

Thanks for the help so far.

I have removed enough of the crap that the boiler is now "free" just 3 pipes to disconnect and the flue.

The 3 pipes, where are they likely to run, is there somewhere else I can disconnect or block them off so I can totally remove the pipes from the fireplace as this is where all my AV equipment will sit and dont really fancy having water pipes behind it all!

The fireplace runs down the centre of the house, above it towards the side of the house is the hotpress.

Any advice would be appreciated.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/838/image337.jpg
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1298/image336v.jpg

Sponsored Links
i must get myself a drift i bet that could get you out of trouble if you ever run out of streight couplings and i bet tomplumbs neighbour will go mad if he catches him drilling into his wall.

There will be a pipe box at the right hand side of the chimney breast (give it a knock it will be wood|)
Remove pipe box and see where pipes are going. They will probably go up to the airing cupboard but check anyway.
Cut them back close to where they join into the rest of the pipes or tank. Blank with 22mm compression blank ends.

Can I not take a grinder to the flue then remove the boiler and pull it down?

No because you will never get round it with a grinder.

Get your chisel and hammer it in between the flue pipe and the boiler and see if it will lift a bit. It is just sitting on top held by the vermiculite and maybe a handfull of cement.

If it won't lift smash the flue with your hammer, it WILL break if you hit it hard enough.
Cut the pipe at the right side and loosen the nuts on the left and spin the boiler to the left and pull out.

BTW you have not even gotten half the stuff out from behind there yet :eek:

Keep digging you are doing well :LOL:

i must get myself a drift i bet that could get you out of trouble if you ever run out of streight couplings and i bet tomplumbs neighbour will go mad if he catches him drilling into his wall.

A drift is a great wee tool to have.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back