removing tap gland/valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace the ceramic gland on my kitchen mixer tap. I can get the one off the hot tap fine. But when I take the cold one off the bit that the gland sits in (sorry, don't know the name) unscrews as well.

IMG_20180815_143540.jpg

I can't get the gland itself off the other bit, or vice versa. I've tried 3-in-1 oil around the join between the gland and the other bit but that doesn't seem to have helped. I've also tried tightening the whole lot up again in the tap, and then trying to unscrew the gland but the whole lot just comes out together.

Any tips, please? A big part of the problem is with gripping the bit the gland sits in: it's round and flat on the top and bottom so gripping it with adjustable pliers is virtually impossible. Is there anything else I can safely try?

Also, just to check, am I right in thinking that I should be turning the gland anti-clockwise to free it from the other bit?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Those valves don't have a gland they have o-rings and seals. The reducer should just twist off anticlockwise. Does the one you have off the hot side have an inner thread that the valve screws into? You want a good pair of vice grips to grip the reducer and it should twist off with the adjustable on the valve nut.

Thanks.

Yes, the reducer (thanks for the name) has a thread on the inside. It matches up with the thread you can see on the hot side, just below the o-ring and above the ceramic seal.

I'll see if I can find my vice grips and give those a go. Bit worried about busting the thread on the outside edge of the reducer, but maybe covering with a cloth I'll be okay?

For the sake of my own learning, what's the difference between a valve and a gland? Screwfix call these glands and they look to my novice eyes like the same as what I have.

Grip the top edge of the reducer that's not threaded and not the thread with the vice grips and you should be ok.

Traditionally the gland nut and packing is part of the tap's headgear, the packing is usually a domed piece on the spindle and there's a socket in the gland nut that together provides the water seal but still allows the tap spindle to move.

pillar_tap.gif

Seems some of the sheds etc are now calling the valves themselves .... glands.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the explanation.

While I had the valves out I went ahead and took them apart and gave them a clean (lots of videos on YouTube) and put them back. The dripping has significantly reduced so maybe I don't need to replace just now. But this will be very helpful if I do have to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back