Replacing the gland on a ceramic hot tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, experts:

Our ceramic mixer tap, in the kitchen, is dripping and needs a new pair of glands. In the past, I have replaced the cold water tap gland with no problems. However, this time, I want to replace both hot and cold tap glands, and am scared to try this because I don't know what effect draining from the hot tap will have on the gas boiler (a Vaillant). Being inexperienced in these matters, I am afraid that, if the stop tap to the house is turned off, and the hot tap opened, to drain residual water, the boiler may need to fire up for the central heating (depending on the time of day — a timer regulates this function) and there may not be any water available to it, ruining the boiler.

If something needs to be done to make a boiler catastrophe impossible, will someone please advise me about this? I would be nervous, even, about switching the boiler off, as the only thing I ever do with it is do wash the magnetic filter and top up the pressure occasionally. All the rest, I would leave to the service engineer. However, I feel that I ought to be able to change the tap glands myself. It would seem like an unnecessary expense for a pensioner, to call in a plumber to do this.
With thanks in hopes of a clarifying answer,
A.W.

Sponsored Links
The heating is separate to the hot water so turning off the stop cock and draining the hot tap will be fine. You will just get a bit of splutter at the taps when the hot is reinstated.

Presume you have a combi?

Just turn the power off to the boiler to be safe. Simples!

But it is very unlikely you will have a catastrophe if you don't ;)

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean the hot and cold tap cartridges as opposed to the glands. Ceramic cartridges don't even have glands. Just shut off your incoming mains and this will shut off both the hot and cold. Then replace the ceramic cartridges and turn the water back on. Running the hot tap will then expel any air from the plate heat exchanger. It won't effect the central heating side of the boiler at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back