Removing tiles/retiling under UPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed nearly all of the old tiles from my kitchen but there are a few shards clinging to the bottom of the external door (uPVC). As far as I can tell the tiles go all the way under the threshold to where the outer uPVC frame meets the threshold.

If I cut all the grouting off from where the tiles meet the threshold in order to remove the tiles will that compromise any of the structure of the door?

Also, when I put the new tiles in should I do the same and slide the tiles under the threshold or is there another way to "fill" under the threshold and make the inner edge of the threshold my starting point? My main worry is that doing the former I won't have as much control in getting the tiles level with the rest of the room

Attachments

• PXL_20240428_100622100.jpg
    PXL_20240428_100622100.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240428_100638580.jpg
    PXL_20240428_100638580.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 10
Sponsored Links
Pull tiles out. CT1 or other polymer under to seal.
As for tiles mine just butt against door. Up to you if you tuck tiles under door but think about the next door that's fitted as it may be better to fit to concrete

Thanks Wayners. Sorry I'm a bit confused as you're saying about putting CT1/polymer underneath but then also saying I could put the tiles all the way under and then mentioning concrete so I'm not really sure what it is that you're suggesting

Sponsored Links
You have a concrete floor under tiles I guess looking at photos?
Door frame should sit on concrete floor but is not. Door sits on tiles but you are pulling tiles out leaving a gap under the door frame correct?
What you filling gap with? I think polymer mastic is best to stop any water or insects getting under the door.
So it's up to you. Tile to the door or tile under the door. If you aren't going to stay in house or fit a new door in your lifetime push new tiles under. If you plan to stay and may fit a new door to the original concrete floor then tile to the door.

Re polymer.
Like I said. Run some under before you tile as it will stop any water getting under.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back