New Ceramic Tiles After Vinyl Tiles Removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I spent most of yesterday removing the vinyl tiles from the kitchen and utility room - just a few bits under the appliances to remove now :)

The new ceramic tiles are to be laid on a concrete floor - good flat surface apart from the threshold to the utility room. So no need to level apart from threshold.

My questions are:

Is there anything I need to do to the concrete surface before laying the new tiles?

What would you guys recommend for tile spacings for 330mm square tiles? I have a box of 4mm spacers.

Thanks for your replies.

Sponsored Links
On a concrete floor you can tile straight onto it as long as its been cleaned of dust as much as poss,I still like to give it a coat of acrylic pimer first though as it stops the concrete sucking all the moisture out of the adhesive.

Spacers are your choice,a lot of customers have been going for smaller gaps latley 2 or 3mm,4mm is ok though.

Thanks guys.

I had the 4mm spacers as that's what was in the DIY shed - others were 2mm and 7mm but they didn't look right.

lancenotalot - is there any particular primer you use? and how long would it take to dry? SWMBO wants me to start laying tiles on Saturday :rolleyes: so I would have to do it one evening during the week. I had thought of a coat of PVA to seal the surface.

Sponsored Links
I normally use this http://www.tilechoice.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=800730&cat=25

Drys in about 30mins or so.

I have read a lot advising against pva and so use this rather than taking the chance.
I have used pva many years ago when I did my own bathroom and the tiles are still fine 6 years later.The general consensus on here is that pva is a no no due to it being water based.The prices are not much different so I go with what has the most recommendations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back