Removing Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am about to remove tiles from a large area of Kitchen wall.

Is there any tips out there to do this job more easily and safe. I was just going to take a bolster to it ,but i would like to save as much plaster board as possible.

Sponsored Links
If the tiles are stuck well they are going to bring huge chunks of plaster with them. I found the best thing to use is a utility bar. They sell them in B & Q for about a fiver. It is like a small crow bar but the ends are sharp like a chisel (well not quite that sharp). Use a a club hammer to tap it in under the tile and then pry it off. Might be able to save a bit of plaster that way.

If the plaster does come away a couple of chaps on here recommended to me to fill the gaps in with tile adhesive rather then trying to plaster. I did that and it worked quite well. If you are re-tiling with quite small tiles it shouldn't matter if the walls aren't perfectly flat.

tile over the top and save loads of hassle.i took some tiles off a kitchen wall in the dump im in now,crappy old cardboard walls etc and half the wall came off witht hem.once i sell ill be going back to something more traditional.

Use a hammer and bolster AND SAFETY GLASSES and they should come off ok and then any holes fill with some carlite bonding making sure its not proud of the original surface and when dry retile

Sponsored Links
Its not advisable to tile over bonding,if its only small patches you can get away with it but large areas would need a skim.

If the tiles have been stuck straight onto the boards & have a good hold then the face of the PB is unlikely to survive to any degree. Filling large areas with Bonding plaster is not recommended as tile adhesive doesn’t take well to it; better to rough fill smaller holes & gouges with tile adhesive. If its plaster board over a stud then it’s usually quicker & easier to accept it isn’t going to survive & just replace the boards before retiling; replacing dot & dab boards will obviously be more work.

Such problems are the drawback of tiling over PB. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back