Removing toilet cistern temporarily

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I'm having the toilet replaced with a toilet/sink combi unit and I want to take the cistern off so I can prep/repair the wall ready before the plumber comes.

What would I need to do to remove it safely? I've attached pics. The pipe on the left has a tap for the main water at the bottom and on the right is the overflow

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210411_121845.jpg
    20210411_121845.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 20210411_121829.jpg
    20210411_121829.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 20210411_121853.jpg
    20210411_121853.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
In your first picture i see a stopcock, the pipe it feeds fills your cistern, but it also goes vertically on from there, so turning it off will have an effect on whatever is at the end.
Turn it off, flush the toilet to empty the cistern and then use old towels to soak up the rest.

Thankyou. The pipe with the stopcock turns all of the water off in the house. Will it be okay to turn this off whilst I remove the cistern?

Also, will I need to attach a blanking plug or something onto that pipe once the cisterns removed?

You're going to have to cap the feed pipe to the cistern so you can have the rest of the house operating as you work.....do shift all of that white paint first!
John :)

Sponsored Links
The pipe with the stopcock turns all of the water off in the house.
With the stopcock turned off, open the highest cold tap in the house to admit air, then flush the toilet to drain down the pipework and make sure no water is passing the stopcock, or you may have an unexpected flood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back