removing tung oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that this subject has been done to death but I cannot find any advice for this problem. I have just started oiling my oak worktops (a few weeks before fitting). On looking through advice on this forum I decided on Liberon Tung Oil. Having put one coat on one piece of worktop It has turned much too dark for my liking and I want to remove it and use something else. So, the question is, can I remove it and if so, how.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Might be a pain to remove in all honesty. I would go for scraping with a cabinet scraper (or the cut edge of glass is also useable with care) and scrape back to the bare timber. Even so it may not be possible to completly remove all traces and this may show up against the other pieces.
Advice after the horse has bolted I know but try the stain on the underside first.
Just a thought after my last comment, is there any possibility of simply turning the worktop over?

Thanks for the reply. I have tried cabinet scraper to no avail also tried a smoothing plane but the oil is too far in. I have had to bite the bullet and order a replacement.

Sponsored Links
Any oil is going to darken the top, nothing achieved by removing the current oil.

Thanks for the replies, as I have said I have ordered a new worktop. But for interests sake I have now used raw linseed oil on the other worktops and even after 4 coats is considerably lighter than 1 coat tung oil. Linseed does take about a week to fully dry.

maltaron";p="1687665 said:
I know that this subject has been done to death but I cannot find any advice for this problem. I have just started oiling my oak worktops (a few weeks before fitting). On looking through advice on this forum I decided on Liberon Tung Oil. Having put one coat on one piece of worktop It has turned much too dark for my liking and I want to remove it and use something else. So, the question is, can I remove it and if so, how.

TIA[/quote

I have just seen your post re worktop And deciding to get a new one, what will you be doing with old worktop :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back