Removing Union lock with no visible screws - just rivets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old aluminium back door where the lock has begun to malfunction - it doesn't always retract the bolt all the way.
I want to remove it to repair or replace, but there aren't any screws in the face-place, just rivets. There isn't even a visible retaining screw for the euro cylinder. Is drilling these rivets the only way to remove the lock? Just thought I would check before I did anything too drastic!

Cheers!

IMG_7457.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would guess it's been riveted because either the original screws have been rounded in the aluminium door or the makers deemed the aluminium to have inadequate strength to take screws.

I have an old aluminium back door where the lock has begun to malfunction - it doesn't always retract the bolt all the way.
I want to remove it to repair or replace, but there aren't any screws in the face-place, just rivets. There isn't even a visible retaining screw for the euro cylinder. Is drilling these rivets the only way to remove the lock? Just thought I would check before I did anything too drastic!

Have you tried removing the door handles on each side, first?

Have you tried removing the door handles on each side, first?
Hi Harry - no I haven't, partly because they're the type with no visible fixings which are pressed onto some plastic clips (I believe), but mainly because my thinking was that I'll need to get the cylinder out before I can remove the lock, so there must be a retaining screw somewhere under that faceplate with the rivets.

If you think it's worth getting the handles off to see what I can see, I'll have a bash.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I would guess it's been riveted because either the original screws have been rounded in the aluminium door or the makers deemed the aluminium to have inadequate strength to take screws.
Thanks - what do you think, drill the rivets and be prepared to rivet the new lock?

Thanks - what do you think, drill the rivets and be prepared to rivet the new lock?

Yes, just use a too large drill bit, and it will take the head of the rivet off, without damaging the lock.

Can you provide photos of the handles, so we can come up with ideas of how to remove those?

Yes but as mentioned by others you'll have to remove at least one of the handles if not both or you'll never be able to remove the lock, as the door spindle that connects the handles goes through the lock, you need to remove the handles first, there won't be any other fixings to remove once you drill the rivets off.

Yes but as mentioned by others you'll have to remove at least one of the handles if not both or you'll never be able to remove the lock, as the door spindle that connects the handles goes through the lock, you need to remove the handles first, there won't be any other fixings to remove once you drill the rivets off.
Thanks - yes, I understand that the handles will need to come off. I'm just trying to work out what the full extent of the job might be before I start.

On a related note, only one of the handles has a grub screw on it (presumably holding the spindle) and it's the outside one and so it's rusted to heck - getting that out may be interesting too :)

I don't recognise that lock. But it might have an ornamental loose faceplate, fixed to a thick steel forend that is welded to the case and screwed ( or in your case, possibly riveted in the door factory) into place. That would be quite normal. Once you have the rivet heads off, you will see. A countersink bit will get the heads off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back