Removing unused electrical socket & making safe

Sponsored Links
Is it?

i.e. does it meet the requirements in BS 7671 for site-applied insulation?

I would think so - by 412. Would you not?

You can, after all, make it more or less however you wish.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't it be just that little bit safer with insulation tape wrapped nicely round the connector block?
Why? Do you wrap it around the back of switches and sockets after you've made the connections to the terminals?

NO.

But the op has already expressed his concerns about splashing from the shower (the reason he decided to remove the socket) - so wouldn't tape give that extra peace of mind?

I would say it is very, very splashproof.

At least the good quality stuff is.

Wouldn't you say it is SAFER to apply it rather than not to?

No, I don't think it is safer, and how splashproof it is depends on how skilfully it is applied. How would it get splashed inside the backbox anyway?

It probably wouldn't, perhaps through a gap in the tiling?

The point is, in a wet environment, a connector block skillfully wrapped in tape can only be safER than not taped.

Stands to reason.

No, it'll be less safe, as water will get trapped behind the tape and will corrode the terminals, and the tape will impede visibility of the damage.

If I were that concerned about the possibility of any significant amount of water getting into the box to that extent, I wouldn't be leaving it there in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back