Removing valves from radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Complete newbie here.

I am having a new floor installed (laminate). I understand I can remove radiators by shutting off the valves, and bleeding, which based on sources online seems doable.

However, the new floor will need to be laid from above, and to keep things looking trim, I will need to remove the valve completely from the pipe so the hole in the laminate is pipe sized, not valve sized. Pic is attached.

Is this something that is safe to do once the water is shut off, or do I need to do something more complicated, such as draining the system, in which case I will get a plumber to do it? I have a combi boiler.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1539077009984754447722975647562.jpg
    1539077009984754447722975647562.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 231
Sponsored Links
You would need to drain down the system. Not (normally) a difficult task. However it means that you won't have any hot water until you replace the valves (or cap the pipes).

The required hole may be bigger than acceptable though. Once you remove the valve the nut and olive will still be on the pipe. You can use an olive puller to remove the olive and then the nut but is it really worth the hassle?

BTW, in the image that you have posted, it looks like the floor was laid with the valves in place. The fitter simply cut two semi-circles out of adjoining lengths of flooring.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You would need to drain down the system. Not (normally) a difficult task. However it means that you won't have any hot water until you replace the valves (or cap the pipes).

The required hole may be bigger than acceptable though. Once you remove the valve the nut and olive will still be on the pipe. You can use an olive puller to remove the olive and then the nut but is it really worth the hassle?

BTW, in the image that you have posted, it looks like the floor was laid with the valves in place. The fitter simply cut two semi-circles out of adjoining lengths of flooring.
The OP has absolutely no idea so why subject him to all the potential trauma for so little gain?

The OP has absolutely no idea so why subject him to all the potential trauma for so little gain?

I agree that there is little to be gained, however I am reminded of the maxim about teaching someone to fish rather than simply giving him a fish...

HarrieAndJojo as already mentioned,you can work around the pipes.

If scotia bead and pipe collars are used the laminate cut out is hardly seen :idea: A good laminate installer will be able to hide the cut out even without scotia and pipe collars.
:cool:

Thanks for the replies. The overwhelming verdict is not to worry about the valves, and just cut around, so we'll go with that. I appreciate all the advice!

I agree that there is little to be gained, however I am reminded of the maxim about teaching someone to fish rather than simply giving him a fish...
Sure he and his wife will thank you for that when he has brought the ceiling down and has black shht all up the walls.im more of a "if it aint broken,dont fek with it,, type of chap,,,having done the above numerous times.

Sure he and his wife will thank you for that when he has brought the ceiling down and has black shht all up the walls.im more of a "if it aint broken,dont fek with it,, type of chap,,,having done the above numerous times.

Surely the point of this forum is to give advice rather than patting people on the head and telling them to get a pro in.

No,hence the forum name

From the home page of this site:

Welcome to DIYnot.com
DIY can be both challenging and rewarding - this is where DIYnot.com aims to help. Our expert teams have brought together hundreds of information pages. Why not Do It Yourself?

https://www.diynot.com/

I would imagine that the site owners would have loved to have called the site diy.com but B&Q beat them to the domain name.

Hi

Complete newbie here.

I am having a new floor installed (laminate). I understand I can remove radiators by shutting off the valves, and bleeding, which based on sources online seems doable.

However, the new floor will need to be laid from above, and to keep things looking trim, I will need to remove the valve completely from the pipe so the hole in the laminate is pipe sized, not valve sized. Pic is attached.

Is this something that is safe to do once the water is shut off, or do I need to do something more complicated, such as draining the system, in which case I will get a plumber to do it? I have a combi boiler.

Thanks!

Ordinarily, there is expansion room required. The floor AND the pipes expand in heat, so there is luttli to be gained by dropping the laminate over the pipes. It would also add a lot of time to the Chip's work . The advice to remove the olives demonstrates a misunderstanding over the floor requirements, I believe.

As above. You need to leave room for expansion anyway, so a tight fit is not advisable. (y)

Ordinarily, there is expansion room required. The floor AND the pipes expand in heat, so there is luttli to be gained by dropping the laminate over the pipes. It would also add a lot of time to the Chip's work . The advice to remove the olives demonstrates a misunderstanding over the floor requirements, I believe.

I wasn't suggesting that the hole should be tight to the pipe. It doesn't need to be as big as the nut though.

That said, yes, I should have mentioned the need for an expansion gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back