Removing Wall for door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all hope your all well

Just a quick one really. I'm making a hole in a supporting wall for a 4ft wide door. The joists sit on the internal leaf of the wall the the external wall is just the wall above it.

Am i right in thinking a pair of acros inside supporting the ceiling would hold that side and a pair of strong bouyes on the outside to hold that side of things.

My next question am i right in think a standard concrete lintel will be fine for the application or do i need to up this to a rsj. I will be placing a lintel on the top of each leaf

Many Thanks for you help and any suggestions would be most appreciated

Sponsored Links
Your plan for supports sounds ok. Internally I would get a length of 6"x2" or something similar and lay it across the underside of the ceiling at right angles to the joists and just prop it with an acro either side.

Difficult to advise on lintel without more info. Doubt you would need an RSJ, probably fine with a 100x145 conc on each leaf. What's the construction? Cavity, 2 storey, brk/bwk, etc?

hi thanks for your reply
basicaly it is a an 1901 house. The wall is two leaf the door will be on the ground floor above this there is a bathroom and the bath is at that end of the room so potentail a bit of weigh. I was thinking about it last night i think i'm might go with a 6x3 rsj inside and concrete lintel on the outside. I'm also think it might be worth going with two needels though the wall but not sure i think the strongbouys and acros would be ok

Many Thanks

Daniel

don't bother with needling. the collateral damage outside - if any, can be repaired. strongboys will be more than, er, man enough.

1200mm ain't no hill o' beans.

Sponsored Links
hi thanks for your reply

as far as lintels go then what would you recommend the concrete lintels both sides or an rsj one side and concrete lintel the other

Many Thanks

Dan

For a 1200 wide door opening, any standard cavity lintel (Corus will even design you a Catnic one for free if you want, see Joe-90 for details* :)) will do, you don't need t make it complicated by using steel on one leaf and concrete on the other.

*as do other manufacturers, but Joe obviously hasn't discovered them yet

But will the BCO accept their specs?

Why wouldn't they?

After all, it's "only pushing a few buttons" on their design software, eh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back