Removing Wall Hung Gas Fire and Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ,
I hope you can help with the following questions I have .

I need a wall hung gas fire removing and the supply capping off(below floorboards level).

The house is a 190 30's ish semi, normal construction the chimney has a cowl on but is not capped off.

My questions are;

Do i need to fit a ventilation grill in the chimney breast ?, we are hoping to take it back to bare bricks and partially replace the bricks where the fire entered the chimney breast with matching bricks.

should the chimney be capped off and if so does this remove the need for ventilating the chimney ?

many thanks in advance for any advice given

Glenn

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan ,

Thanks for that I appreciate that the person doing the job should know the correct methodology ,

I just want to know what would be the correct practice for this job as I don't want to it to be done improperly .

Many Thanks

Glenn

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan ,

I am sorry you feel that way , I cannot see anywhere in my posts where I have second guessed your skills or responses .

I have always found the DiyNot forums to have excellent resources and have had helpful replies to any questions I may have regarding tasks or jobs that I require doing .

I find it helps if I know what is required when I have 'professionals' and can ask better questions regarding the work required if I have an idea of what the task involves .

Nobody likes to feel that they have had their 'pants down' on any work done .

With regard to 'no idea' that was the whole point of asking someone who does have an idea

Hope you have a nice day and never get the same response from a doctor or consultant about something you have 'no idea' about.

regards

Glenn

Although you might not be considering doing the gas work, the questions your asking sort of imply your doing it yourself hence the reason your questions are not being answered and no advice given, that's the feeling I got anyway. I may be wrong, but as Dan said if you get someone decent they should give you a decent price, once the fires out and disconnected you could ask on the building forum how to sort the chimney and do that yourself if your not reusing it for anything else.

Thank You Cgas ,

I intend to get someone in to cap off the gas , but hopefully will do the rest myself

Many Thanks

Glenn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back