Renault Grand Scenic 2006- (7 Seater)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi Everyone
i have a 2006 Grand scenic automatic and noticed some engine noise lately. this noise has been going on for about 3months now.

whenever the car starts from cold, there is a kind of squeaking? noise from the engine(wew wew wew...) and its a bit loud as i can hear it even with the windows closed. the noise will disappear after about 5 min when the car warms up. i dont hear this noise when the car is warm. only when its starts from cold especially with winter here, it happens every morning but will go away when engine warms up. on warm start up i dont hear this noise at all.
i dont know much about cars but sounds like a belt turning on rollers and the continuous squeaking noise it makes?? hope this makes sense as a bit difficult to describe the noise. the car has done appx 60000 miles.

any idea what this might be please?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Does the sound change with engine revs? (helps eliminate a few items).

Does it change much when you engage drive? (could be the auto-clutch).

Try turning the air con to cold and see if it changes (could be aux belt driving air con).

Try charging the battery fully indoors overnight and see it it stops it (could be alternator overcompensating for low battery output when low).

The most likely candidate is a slipping aux belt driving the air con or alternator - check the tension on these, check the mating pulley and belt face are free from contaminants and maybe spash out £60 on a new belt unless it has been recently replaced.

Prices to have this done in a garage range greatly so do some research before letting a garage fleece you for some of the work if you feel handy enough and have the tools available.

Good luck

The most likely candidate is a slipping aux belt driving the air con or alternator - check the tension on these, check the mating pulley and belt face are free from contaminants and maybe spash out £60 on a new belt unless it has been recently replaced.
This. ^^^

Most have an automatic belt tensioner so pop the belt off and spin the tensioner pulley and the idlers, listening for rumble and feeling for any play.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Feel free to run the engine without the belt on, it won't do any harm ( just in case the noise is elsewhere).
John :)

Back