Renault Scenic Door Clunking 59 Plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice our Renault Scenic on the drivers door has started making a clunking sound when opening and closing.

It sounds like it is coming from the area around the retaining device which goes inside the door from the body I have tried having a look but cannot see what could be causing it.

If anyone else has had this problem and advice on solving this problem would be great before going to the main dealer and paying through the nose for them to sort a problem I might be able to do myself :)

Thanks
Tony

Sponsored Links
With the door open Tony, grasp it firmly and see if you can lift it up and down a little.....door hinge pin wear isn't actually unknown on these!
John :)

Hi John

There is no movement in the door it sounds like it is coming from the device which retains the door at certain points when opening it to stop it swinging fully open, it has a thin lever going from the body into the side of the door and it looks like there is some small plastic runners in the door which help keep this bar in place ??

I am totally confused as it what is happening lol

Ok, thats the restraining strap you are talking about....it stops the door flying open.
I don't know what there is to actually make a noise in there, so you can spray some grease in there which won't do any harm. Motor factors will have what you need, in an aerosol.
Failing that, its the door panel off to see whats what, I'm afraid - and they are very easy to damage!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks I have tried some WDW40 already into the device with no joy, and was thinking of taking the door panel off but with all the electrics etc worried about doing more damage than good, looks like a trip to the garage to sort this issue out and if they damage the door panel not a problem then as they can fix it :)

Thanks again John

Just a thought, but if these are similar to the ones fitted on Peugeots and Citroens, then the retaining screws come loose, and cause a clonk when the bump on the arm goes past the roller. You can see the screw heads inside the door closure around the arm. They're a spline type head, and if similar to the others mentioned, appear to be made from cheese, and strip out very easily.

had this problem on my old mk1 zafira,the bolts had come loose and eventually the metal surrounding them gave way.
i gave the whole area a good grease up,and got hold of 2 large penny washers and put these over the hole/tear of the metal.no noise after that.

Hi Tony. Have you been able to solve this yet? Mine's doing the same. Lubricating hasn't helped & even taking the door panel off doesn't reveal what's going on as the mechanism's hidden behind the door's inner skin.

If you've checked that the screws and / or nuts in both the door and the frame are tight, then the only thing is to take off the mechanism and replace it. That's going to be a "door panel off and fiddle" job.

As I said previously any screw heads seem to be made of cheese, and on one I did (and I haven't done many) the torx head stripped out even with a decent bit when trying to remove it. The answer was a twelve point socket which was just a "tap on" fit over the head of the screw. :)

Sponsored Links
Back