renault traffic motorhome fuel gauge problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i wonder if someone could help solve a problem i have with my motor home, the petrol gauge worked ok one day, then i put in £40 of fuel got into the cab and the gauge was not registering and the empty light was on, its never come back to working again, we were on holliday at the time so i just had to keep putting fuel in and not knowing how much was in the tank, does anyone know where the sender is on the tank ??? its a plastic tank i am only assuming it could be that part or can it be the gauge itself ??? i have looked to see if there is a fuse but i cannot see one for that part any help would be appreciated

thanks mick

Sponsored Links
Fuel gauges are usually of the float type - as the level of fuel rises in the tank, a float rises with it, altering resistance on a potentiometer which in turn tells the gauge in the cab what to read. So, your float is either stuck down or is kaput in some other way. The gauge is usually located on the top of the tank, (where the fuel pipes exit from) and can be accessed by either a bayonet type of fixing or a number of screws around the perimeter of the unit. An old test to check the fuel gauge was to earth out the electrical connections to the float - if you did this, the gauge on the dash would read full. Can't comment on yours though!
Cheers John

Bear in mind some of the standard parts and wiring may have been modified by the coachbuilder after it left the Renault factory, so you may be led astray if you rely solely on information from Renault.

I once had problems with a wildly inaccurate fuel gauge. A coachbuilder had fitted a different fuel tank and sender unit whilst modifying the vehicle.

Sponsored Links
Back