Render or textured paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_7924.JPG IMG_7923.JPG

Hi all,

Now the good weather is coming we are looking at painting the exterior of the property.

On the newer extension there is a failing in the set coat of render / textured paint but I need to identify which it is before I try to fix. Can you help me identify this? Looking at other threads it may be textured paint.

If it is textured paint, how is best to get the finish in the images? I am happy for product recommendation from the experts out there :)

Sponsored Links
Looks like tyrolean , it is applied with a tyrolean gun.

Thanks Clive - that's a great help. Had never seen or heard of this stuff before.

Looks like I need a hand operated gun and a bag of mix and away I go!

Will come back with some finished pics so everyone can have a good old laugh at my patch job, ha!

Sponsored Links
OP,
Yes, it does appear to be a Tyrolean application.

But either the mix wasn't mixed correctly or, more likely, the background was not prepped - for example, the render background looks to be very sandy.

The consequences are that you have a "skin" of Tyrolean, & the skin has not bonded to the background.
Its possible that the whole extension application of Tyrolean is barely "sticking" to the background, and would come away in sheets if you attempted to strip it off.

If what I say is whats actually happening then the whole application must come off, and the background be carefully examined for suitability - if not, moisture will get behind blown Tyrolean, and cause further damage and unsightliness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back