Render over flashing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we are building a dormer which is to be rendered and I am detailing the junction of the dormer cheek where it comes through the roof. I have specified that the cheeks will be rendered on thermalite shield now Iam having 2nd thoughts. Does render go over flashing? If not stepped flashings on blocks is going to mean large steps. Should I specify bricks? Can anyone suggest a tidy detail. I would like a smoothish render i.e. not pebble dashed or tyrollean which I intend to paint with one of these low maintainance finishes.

Sponsored Links
Raggle or chasecut the blocks to the skew of the roof. Insert the lead at least 25mm. Use a 25mm expamet stop bead .....half on the blocks and half over the lead........you can tack it with a short galv nail into blockwork joint or apply scratch coat and bed it on. This means you are renderinng over lead but are adhering to the wire bead. It is also covering your chase or raggle.

You could also use a timber against your cheek running with skew. If it was 25mm thick you could dress lead upstand to shape of timber and finish 30mm above it. This would let you bring bead to sit on top of protruding timber 4x1. Press leadwork that sits above timber into a non setting mastic against the wall which will then be covered by bead and render.......it`s just another way out of it.

It is sometimes easier to build the whole thing in timber ...then sheet with ply ....... wire lath the cheeks then three coats of render . I use roofing felt under the wire lath.

Obviously I don`t know what regs you are working to but with timber you can get your insulation in there.
Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back