rendered blocks for garden seating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to create something similar to this:

c0a507cfa31796e4eca3c4c4c9870d55.jpg

I am thinking I would just use concrete blocks with a concrete flag on top and then render them. good idea? bad idea?

what type of blocks should I use, I presume they do not need to be as as a house, so is it just the cheapest concrete blocks that I should use, or is there a particular type?

Sponsored Links
Concrete blocks should be fine as support but slabs will be cold and hard.
They will stay wet after rain
If you must use concrete then I would first find long ready made garden bench cushions and backs and build the unit to fit

Imho it looks nicer with a wooden seat plus presumably can be used as storage

If you want to do it use dense concrete blocks. They take render better.

Do not consider this style if the area is shaded at all it will look so grubby so quickly.

You really want a drip edge on the front of your flags to stop water running down the face of the wall to help slow the staining.

I honestly cant stress enough how bad these look if you not prepared to keep up the maintenance.

OP,
What you see in the pic (an advertisement?) will never do - two winters & it will look ravaged.
If possible, stay away from rendering anything unless its a remedial necessity.

Sponsored Links
The hardwood shown also goes grey. Unless I've just failed to preserve mine correctly. The grey doesn't look bad tho, just totally different to the pic.
I've done similar with lightweight concrete (not aerated) blocks. In my case the render (painted obviously) has stayed looking decent.

but slabs will be cold and hard
Yes, I was just meaning slabs on the top to render, then wood as shown.

If you want to do it use dense concrete blocks. They take render better.
Do not consider this style if the area is shaded at all it will look so grubby so quickly.
You really want a drip edge on the front of your flags to stop water running down the face of the wall to help slow the staining.
I honestly cant stress enough how bad these look if you not prepared to keep up the maintenance.
It is in full sun all day, and happy to maintain. Good point with the drip edge.
Dense blocks seem to come in 3.5 and 7n. What is the difference/best?

OP, If possible, stay away from rendering anything unless its a remedial necessity.
I understand your concern, Is there a way of getting this look without render?

The hardwood shown also goes grey. Unless I've just failed to preserve mine correctly. The grey doesn't look bad tho, just totally different to the pic.
I've done similar with lightweight concrete (not aerated) blocks. In my case the render (painted obviously) has stayed looking decent.
I am hardwood decking too, so I guess it will fade at same time.
Did you just render and paint with masonry paint?

Did you just render and paint with masonry paint?

Yep sand and cement scratch and top coat then masonry paint (sandtex)
Pretty sure you don't need to be using 7.3n blocks for this like I said you can get lightweight aggregate blocks, easier on your back. But each to their own

OP,
What you see in the pic (an advertisement?) will never do - two winters & it will look ravaged.
If possible, stay away from rendering anything unless its a remedial necessity.
Correct. This type of design is more for the continental Europe market.

To be fair, you could make all the wood removable via drop in locating holes for the seats and screws for the wall capping- inside storage over winter will greatly improve the lifespan. Although often after a season or two the novelty wears off and they get left out

To be fair, you could make all the wood removable via drop in locating holes for the seats and screws for the wall capping- inside storage over winter will greatly improve the lifespan. Although often after a season or two the novelty wears off and they get left out

Yep that is what I intend to do. I have a large area in the back of my garage where all the garden furniture goes on the day the clocks go back (I know, but it reminds/forces me to do it). So it shouldn't be that much of a hassle to remove these too.

Hello....?

The render will eventually spoil, not just the timber elements. Don't do it.

Hello....?

The render will eventually spoil, not just the timber elements. Don't do it.

you are not married are you noseall? :)

i am in charge of building, she is in charge of designing and painting. so either she will have a maintenance job to do each year, or more likely in 3-4 years the fashion will've changed and we'll be putting something else there. o_O

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back