rendering a airey house

Sponsored Links
I thought these were made of pre cast concrete blocks with a pebble dash on the outer surface. Are we talking about the same thing ? If so, why do you want to render on that ?

My airey house is constructed of precast concrete slabs stacked horizontaley so there is a kind of step effect i wanted to make the wall smoth so i could pebal dash the bottom half and smooth painted finish top half if that makes any sence .

Why do you want to render it, we have one and are debating bricking it up to increase value and morgagability. How much do you know about the construction of Airey houses and the reason for them being on the 'defective dwelling' list, we have found getting info difficult but have got some from the council at last

Sponsored Links
i work on the Airey house all the time if you need to know anything then let me know

conplus said:
i work on the Airey house all the time if you need to know anything then let me know

we have an Airey which we purchased years ago and the council gave a notice that it was defective but the problem had been overcome by works that they did. we now realise that the work they did did not make it a non defective property and are trying to decided what to do with it and how much investment we should make in it. It was ring beamed years ago by the council as the concrete column bottoms were cracking. am i right in thinking that this might just delay the problems in the concrete columns but not fix it. we have also noticed cracking in one of the window mullions. any info would be great as if we decided to brick this house up it will cost thousands of pounds

you would be advised not to waste money on these houses unless you are bricking them up

if you want a mortgage on this house then the coloumns need to be removed and then bricked up, this needs to be done under a licence eg Adam s Consulting engineers from mold

Seriously........IF you and any neighbours can get together and sell a block of these houses for re-development.........as Brownfield .....then GO for it ;) There is an obvious trend here in Sussex at least ....1Bungalow down 2pairs of semis up........another 1 rotten bungalow and a nonedescript detached down 2 pair of (nice) semi`s up..honestly guys, it`s THE way forward.....the gardens on the new replacements are non-existant but they`re up +sold :!:

I have recently bought my airey construction house.It was repaired/modernised around 10yr ago.They replaced the concrete columns with a steel frame.This is apparently structually sound for at least the next 30 yr.However, very recently cracks have started to appear in the plaster boards,seemingly at the joins(im guessing)I have 2 cracks from wall to wall on the ceiling,in a straight line.A few around door caseings,and on walls again, all straight lines.I also have about 5 around the windows (on the wall)at the bottom corners.These seem to have appeared during the cold weather,although I did have 1 around 2 yr ago.

Can anybody help?are these cracks anything to worry about?

hi I just wondered if you have actually got around to bricking up your house?Im in the same position and considering my options.

hi I just wondered if you have actually got around to bricking up your house?Im in the same position and considering my options.
Distressed lady; sorry I can't help with your problem but can I point out your actually posting on a thread from 2006 & on which the last post was nearly a year ago :confused: ! I know it can be difficult spotting the dates if you’re new to the forum but if you start a new thread of your own you will probably have a better response.

Distressed lady; sorry I can't help with your problem but can I point out your actually posting on a thread from 2006 & on which the last post was nearly a year ago :confused: ! I know it can be difficult spotting the dates if you’re new to the forum but if you start a new thread of your own you will probably have a better response.

oops...thanks for that.I will do :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back