rendering garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a standard concrete floor in a garage, but i'd like to smooth it over and lighten it up to help with keeping it clean and not losing stuff on the floor.

I was thinking a few mm of SLC with a white dye would help but I also want a hard wearing finish that will survive oil spills and maybe the pressures of a car jack. sealant or varnish or is there some other resin for the job?

thanks,
b.

Sponsored Links
Sika do an epoxy flooring product that is only 3mm thick and very hard - they are using it in the cells of a police ataion I am working in. I'll ask about it , but AFAIK you have to be licensed to use it.

There must be similar stuff out there, I'll se what the flooring guys suggest.

You could put down a thin Ronafix / SBR screed, but I don't know about colouring it.

The Sika product used in this Police Station is Sikafloor 216 - it is very hard wearing and waterproof.

http://www.sika.com.au/pdffiles/Final-Summer-06.pdf

I don't know pricing , but the lads laying it say anyone can buy it, you don't have to be licensed etc.

Anyway, it might give you a starting place for a bit of research into similar products.

You could try a sample of crushed granite dust and white portland cement with SBR if Sika is £££. 3 granite one cement. Make sure floor is clean with no paint or grease. Powerwash with a dirtblaster nozzle if you can first.

Alex

Sponsored Links
thanks, that sika216 floor is as they say...BUFF. probably as expensive as it looks :)
I'l give a sample area a go with granite added to slc and cement , and also another with a few coats of floor paint, and see which better handles a hammering. I guess that the white paint they use for road markings would be the most durable, it seems to be heated on iirc.

b/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back