renering the apex how much

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a builder working in my road, and he has said I need the apex on my bungalow needs re rendering he already has the scaffolding up on next door so will be able to work on that he has said he will take out two slates and put a new sheet of whatever and then put the slates back and re render it I have no problem with it needs doing, but he has said it will cost £700 does that sound reasonable? can anyone give me help quickly please as I have said I would let him know tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Photos please, does it need rendering or is he just saying so? Sounds like a chancer to me.

But your post is a little confusing as you go off on a slates and sheet of something or other tangent mid way through?

The cost of leaving the scaff up for a couple of weeks is pennies to the builder so don't be rushed into it.

yes looking at it I think it needs redoing it is cracked and loose but I cant get close enough to photograph it, sorry if I wasn't clear he is suggesting taking two slates off all the way up both sides of the apex the putting a new piece of the plastic underlay (sorry cant think how better to put that) and then replacing slates and rendering, I wasn't sure myself why he needed to take off two slates just to replace the rendering, but Im no roofer and I live on my own so not sure who to ask. thanks for your help so far

You don't need to get close to the crack - a wider pic. showing the gable would do.
It's the point about removing the slates which is puzzleing

Sponsored Links
Hi I have taken two photos and one shows the damaged one he pointed out to me, looking at the rest of it, it looks ok old but there are no more that I can see that are like it, im also at a loss as to why he needs to take off two lines of slates all the way over both sides

It's not rendering, he's referring to the pointing between the tiles and the undercloak (that's the flat bit which sticks out a bit beyond the wall face).

Although not perfect, IMO it all looks reasonable and unless you have actual water penetration - which I doubt - it might be best to leave it alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back