renew electrics for water (well/jet) pump

Is it some kind of thermal motor trip?

What piques my curiosity is that the outhouse has its own meter.
Was the bill perhaps once upon a time shared between the two houses?

Sponsored Links
>securespark..I have scoured the net but have not found anything like the rectangular MEM (unfused ) "box". I have no idea exactly what it is or how exactly it works but it does isolate the supply. It has never "tripped".
To work on the pump I first switch off at the meter and at the square MEM 2-way fusebox..and then the rectangular one. At that point there's (not surprisingly) no voltage between L-N and Earth-N and Earth-L on a multimeter.

Re "bill perhaps once upon a time shared " not as far as I am aware...not since we arrived...& the former neighbours were here at least 10 years before us as far as I remember i.e. going back to the early/mid 70s & I never heard anything about shared bills though I knew them pretty well.
We both share the well itself. Their pump and pressure tank is inside their house and on their "normal" meter (always has been). My kit is in a small "pump house" some 15-20 m. from their house & right next to the well. My pressure tank "sends" the water the 100m or so up to our place.

Last edited:
So your bill from that meter is only for this pumphouse?

How much is it per annum, if you don't mind me asking? Just curious!

Sponsored Links
>securespark..yes that meter is just for the pumphouse.
The pump itself uses about 8-10 units a month so in a normal "frost-free" month that's about £2.00 a month tops - for 8 months of the year.
In the Winter months the bill depends how cold it is as the 60 watt heater kicks in on a frost-stat. A kwH/unit provides for c.16 hours of the heater doesn't it so even if the heater was on 24/7 it'd cost about £2 a week extra.

Crucially I have a "no daily standing charge" tariff on this meter but these tariffs, though still available, are getting harder to find. Without that tariff availability it would be costing some £70-£100+ a year before any electricity used depending on the supplier!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back