Renewing existing gravel drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all hope you can help me with suggestions on how to redo my drive. A lot of the existing gravel (pea shingle by the look of it) has washed away as its on a bit of a slope and also a lot of soil has leached into it so parts of it get a bit muddy when wet. The older part is on a hardcore base and there is a newer section which has a concrete base. I've removed all the gravel/soil from the newer bit so am now thinking about putting something across the drive in a few places to reduce the tendency for the new gravel to creep/wash away. I don't want to do any groundwork if I can help it e.g. to embed granite setts as I want to keep the cosit to a minimum. So I've been wondering whether some lengths of hardwood or square section steel at about 50mm square, bolted to the concrete every 2 or 3 metres would do the trick. Or is it feasiible to adhere 50mm deep block paving slabs to the concrete, without them dislodging as soon as they've been driven over a few times.
Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back