Gravel on concrete drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know they say it is not a good idea to lay gravel on concrete but I want to ask if anybody has had any good ideas or whether they like mine.
I have a very old concrete drive. It is cracked, uneven and patchy. It is not even good enough for the resin gravel types. But it is very firm and I wish to keep it as a base for a new gravel drive. My idea is to break it with a jack hammer but leave it in place. This way (I hope) it will create edges for the gravel to grab hold of and it will make gaps for the water to drain. I can then lay angular gravel or even self-binding gravel -although the latter sounds expensive-

Ideas and opinions appreciated

Existing surface:
View media item 14121

My idea for the work:
View media item 14120

Sponsored Links
Poor idea. The gravel will "sink" beneath the broken concrete. You need to remove the concrete prepare the subase and then put gravel on top.

Have a look for the egg crate stuff, its bassically hexagonal pockets that contain the gravel. i think there is a site call drive expert which has some good advice on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back