Renovate solid wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been donated some solid wood T&G flooring. Trying to work out how usable it is. It is covered in a very glossy finish - polyurethane finish probably? But it also has quite a lot of dinks, scratches etc. The shine is also a bit much.

Is it feasible to strip the surface treatment off? A quick google suggests chemical approach - or would belt sander work? It's not in-situ - just a stack of boards. So sanding would be pretty easy to do outside (boring admittedly). Any thoughts?

Also if I was sanding I'd do outside - H&S an issue obviously. What about environmental impact of sanded polyurethane - should I be worried?

thanks
Keith

Sponsored Links
Thicknesser.
Will save a lot of coughing from the dust and make them perfect.

Can't turn it over easily - has grooves on the bottom. But thicknesser is a good idea. I've never used one - but assume they produce chips rather than dust. I'll have a look at hire options. Presumably the thicknesser does the first pass - and then some sanding required afterwards for the right finish?

Sponsored Links
I think I'd just fit them then get a commercial floor sander on them afterwards which will remove the finish and sand-out the dings if you have enough "meat" on the finish side. You are likely to get gaps here and there in any case which will need to be filled before final sanding. Finishes glaze sanding belts and discs easily so get yourself a large crepe sanding belt cleaner from someone like Axminster Power Tool to prolong the life of your abrasive by periodically deglazing

I think I'd just fit them then get a commercial floor sander on them afterwards which will remove the finish and sand-out the dings if you have enough "meat" ion the finish side.
Those floor sanders are for professionals.
I used it only once in my life in a large shed and although I'm handy with power tools, in some spots I got deep gauges.
I always employed professionals to sand parquet and wood floors in general.

OK, I'm a joiner, so power tool usage is a normal part of my occupation and I should have been more specific. TBH I haven't had too many problems with belt sanders like this Hummel (side view with belt exposed and underside view showing thwo wheels and rear caster:

Hummel Floor Sander Open.jpg

Hummel Drum Sander 002.png

I agree that the old style drum sander can be a nightmare and I'd recommend staying well clear of them (trhey give me problems, too). Fortunately I haven't been offered one in a while. There are, however, alternatives such as an orbital floor sander which works like a giant hand sander:

Clarke Orbital Floor Sander.jpg

and the rotary orbital floor sander (which have no vacuum so are really dusty):

Menzer Orbital Floor Sander.png

They are both a lot slower than a floor belt sander.

Another alternative for small areas would be to buy an old 4in Wolf or Makita belt sander and get down on your knees - but that really won't hack it for bigger areas if only because after a few hours you can find it kind of hard to stand up or walk...

OK, I'm a joiner, so power tool usage is a normal part of my occupation and I should have been more specific. TBH I haven't had too many problems with belt sanders like this Hummel (side view with belt exposed and underside view showing thwo wheels and rear caster:

View attachment 263809

View attachment 263808

I agree that the old style drum sander can be a nightmare and I'd recommend staying well clear of them (trhey give me problems, too). Fortunately I haven't been offered one in a while. There are, however, alternatives such as an orbital floor sander which works like a giant hand sander:

View attachment 263804

and the rotary orbital floor sander (which have no vacuum so are really dusty):

View attachment 263805

They are both a lot slower than a floor belt sander.

Another alternative for small areas would be to buy an old 4in Wolf or Makita belt sander and get down on your knees - but that really won't hack it for bigger areas if only because after a few hours you can find it kind of hard to stand up or walk...
That seems to have a depth limiter.
So, differently from the one i used, your one won't go deeper than you set it.
I'll give it a try next time i'm sanding a floor.

If you can get a belt sander with a flat platen as opposed to a drum they are a lot easier to control

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back