renovating Brass taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone had a solution for fixing up old taps. My bathroom taps are brass (or they look like they’re brass but maybe just brass coated?) and they’ve gone a sort of grey colour, especially the hot tap. I tried using brasso to get rid of the grey but didn’t work so I’m wondering if it’s actually just a brass coat and if so, how do I “re-coat” it?

Many thanks,
Christine

Attachments

• 73F2347F-5105-44EA-8193-67F65A47E985.jpeg
    73F2347F-5105-44EA-8193-67F65A47E985.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 90
  • C2A3C8DA-1334-4C10-B7D4-A28B036BBC86.jpeg
    C2A3C8DA-1334-4C10-B7D4-A28B036BBC86.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 82
Sponsored Links
I found this on line, worth a try:

Combine the juice of half a lemon with a teaspoon of baking soda and stir until it becomes a paste. Apply the paste with a soft cloth. If the tarnish is heavy, let the piece sit with the paste on it for 30 minutes. Rinse with warm water and dry

Andy

that's an American tip (we don't call it baking soda)

and sadly also wrong.

Mixing bicarb with an acid makes a satisfying fizz that makes you think it's doing some good, but actually they're just neutralising each other.

if yours are going grey, they were probably just brass plate on a cheaper base metal, perhaps a zinc alloy.

you can use Brasso wadding for the best shine, but if you just get shiny grey, nothing will work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. Unfortunately brasso just led to shiny grey :/ Can you replace taps without replacing the entire sink?

yes

do you really want brass again?

the old finish was probably worn off by polishing

unless you keep a housemaid, you will have to polish even solid brass taps yourself

chrome is very durable.

I’m just trying to make the place look a bit better before putting it on the market so I’m not really bothered whether they’re brass or chrome but the bath has matching taps so would probably have to replace the lot and therefore would be looking for the cheaper option which would probably be chrome.

Is that a plumber job? I mean if it’s a lot of hassle I’ll probably leave them, it’s unlikely going to be a big issue for someone buying the place. It was just if it was a simple job then I’d do it to make the bathroom a bit more attractive.

Good idea. Grand, I’ll score it off the list for now!

Thanks everyone for your responses, greatly appreciated.

Christine

They look like they're old gold/gold effect plate taps and the plate has been scrubbed off over the years of using abrasive cleaners. Couldn't be resurrected unless they were plated again.

Last edited:
You could possibly buy a set of taps and make the excuse you were going to change them but didn't find the time/haven't contacted a plumber yet etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back