Renovation Project - discovered beam doesn't reach the wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are slowly renovating an old farmhouse that has provided no end of interesting moments over the last 4.5 years. However the latest discovery is the first time I've really found myself scratching my head regarding how to remedy the situation.

The house was clearly a bodge job, as evidenced y the fact that the external stonework doesn't reach ground level and there is plasterwork directly onto mud in one corner of the house.

The house has 2 large (10" x 6") beams spanning across the house and the joists run perpendicular to these. We have just started to remove the plasterwork adjacent to the stairs and in doing so have uncovered the end of one of the beams. It is obvious that the beam was not sufficiently long when the house was built, and so a post was put in along with a stub beam going into the wall.

We were hoping to remove the wall as well as replace the floor (broken concrete slab) but in order to do this we will need to address the issue of this beam/prop. Has anyone come across anything similar? If so what did you do about it (other than run quickly in the opposite direction?!!)

I can't work out how to rotate the images 90 deg clockwise.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
From what you have said i would say you are talking about a 'summer' beam which is more than likely supporting, at least, the floor joists and is therefore a key player in the structure of the house.

With this in mind there is only one real road of advice that should be taken. I would suggest leaving any existing props in place therefore not changing any structural integrity of the house. If parts must be removed, let's say to create more space a replacement prop/column/pier would need to be installed. Most importantly it should be specified by a Structural Engineer who would calculate loading etc.

Its difficult to say much more at this stage, the work involved may be less complicated or more so. Best case scenario would be to work around the existing structural elements. Worst case would be an engineer wanting a new pad foundation installed along with a brick pier or steal column.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards
Jake

I don't understand what you want to do.

You say that you want to remove a wall ... what wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back