Repainting a fence

• Thread starter Deleted member 307818
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 307818

I moved into my house a year and a bit ago (just before winter) and applied a cheap water based paint from B&M just to protect it a bit. Several months later and the paint is starting to fade away. The entire fence (the boundary fence is big!) needed redone and I've fixed the main part last year — I need to do the part next to my house and wanted to repaint it as well. I used Sadolin antique pine on the fence I fixed and the colour is really nice so bought a few tins of it for this next fence. Because it's fading (or whatever it's doing) can I apply oil based paint on top of water based? Do I have to sand every board before applying the oil paint? There's a total of 50ish boards needing redone so the less time consumed the better!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So I could put a primer over the water based paint then put on the Sadolin? I'm guessing a lighter primer would be better on a dark colour to make sure the lighter stain comes out better?

I think the timbercare is a varnish type of paint with some transparency. It's for bare wood I think. It would not be suitable for going on primer. Then the colour of the primer shows through.

If you were using a solid colour, a primer of any colour can be used because the solid colour would completely cover the primer.

Last edited:
Could I paint it with a bright primer then put the paint I have over it?

You can contact the paint maker and ask them, or you can just sand and apply the paint directly. If the job is important enough, you will just have to put in the effort. There is no rule that says you must get everything done at once. You can spread out the task to as long as necessary. The Advantage of DIY is time. You are not constrained by that.

Why don't you try some of your different options on a part of the fence that wont show too much. Perhaps a couple of the lower slats and then see which you like/covers best. Personally I think the oil based will go over water based easily as its been weathered for a year. I don't think you will cover any darker colour with a lighter stain, oil or water based without rubbing it down and for a fence that is just not worth it.

I can't help thinking you are better off with the tubs of water-based fence treatment - because it's easy to re-do every year or so, and requires little preparation each time - an important factor if you have a lot of fencing.

I'm am concerned that the Sadolin oil-based stain will require more preparation to re-paint with each passing year, and any should any weather away to reveal bare wood, which it will, it will take a lot effort to blend it in.

Also, all FUTURE coats will probably need the surface to sanded all over.

Personally I would only use the Sadolin for things like window frames and doors and fascias on the outside of a house, not a fence.

I would stick with the water-based fence treatment, as it's so easy to re-do. There are some brands which last longer than others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back