Repainting a Radiator (not gone to plan)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redecorating a room in the house and thought I'd go all out and repaint the radiator too. Can't be that hard can it?

Anyway, I've done 2 coats (second is almost dry) and it looks awful.

I cleaned and lightly sanded the radiator first with 120 sandpaper and am using Hammerite metal paint as recommended by Screwfix.

Judging by the attached photos, is it best to wait, sand down and start again from scratch, or apply a third coat when dry. My gut says the first. Not exactly sure what has gone wrong. Radiator is cold, too.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20210319_122834.jpg
    IMG_20210319_122834.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_20210319_122841.jpg
    IMG_20210319_122841.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 325
Sponsored Links
You can buy water based radiator paint which I find very good. I use Ronseal. 750ml is about 15 quid.
I'm not sure what has happened with yours. It looks like the paint has been too thick and dragged all over the place. Or you painted it using a broom!
Edited because after broom I added a winking smiley as it was meant to be a joke!
I'd definitely sand it down and either thin down the paint you have or get some water based radiator paint which is easy to apply.
How long did you leave it between coats? With such paint you sort of have to be very fast as it starts drying as soon as you put it on so when you then slightly go over it it pulls the paint!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I probably did put it on pretty thick haha. It doesn't look quite as bad now but still not great! Thanks for your advice - will go with that today :)

Hammerite is the problem.

Virtually any paint would have been acceptable, but that thick gooey stuff is not good for large areas.

You should wait for the paint to harden properly, and I mean properly.

Then sand down to get a nice even surface.

Radiator paint is available, but you could get away with ordinary oil-based undercoat followed by oil-based gloss or satin top coat.

All bare metal should be appropriately primed.

Personally I prefer to use oil-based paints over metal surfaces rather than water-based, but that's just me.

@sparkwright Thank you, appreciate it.

I'll leave it til next weekend, give it a good sand and clean up and try Ronseal or Johnstones radiator paint.

I'm assuming I don't need an undercoat if putting radiator paint onto the sanded previous paint? Excuse my ignorance with DIY

Have used hammertoe to do a rad and never had a bad finish like that, what brush did u use

I suspect that you were using the traditional cellulose thinners based Hammerite. That stuff goes off very quickly (read:"dries" quickly).

I use it from time to time on exterior metal gates and cast iron soil pipes but I would never want to use it to hand paint a radiator.

Other things being equal, I would rather use oil based undercoat and oil based eggshell to paint a radiator. The caveat being that wet clothes on a radiator can result in the paint flaking, particularly if the rad had previously been painted with emulsion.

With regards to the Ronseal or Johnstones rad paint. An undercoat wont be need provided that you sand the hammerite first to provide a "key".

If previously painted with gloss or satin don't use radiator spray paint. It will bubble off.
Tbh I don't like radiator spray paint. Never that white. Also if you don't follow second coat guide on can it pickles up.

I just use acrilic satin spray cans from DIY.
Warm up in hot water before you spray.

320 grade sand radiator. Don't expose metal. Just abrade.
Clean. Must be clean so paint sticks.
Drop paper around to protect walls
Yellow frog tape chrome parts
Spray. Follow guide on can.
It's easy job

Spray sides and top grill in garden on paper. Will dry quickly.

Oh
If you have grills on radiator. Grab sides and pull up. Lift top grill off. Rad brush will remove dust from fins prior cleaning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back