1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Repainting a Radiator (not gone to plan)

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by pemble, 19 Mar 2021.

1. pemble

pemble

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm redecorating a room in the house and thought I'd go all out and repaint the radiator too. Can't be that hard can it?

Anyway, I've done 2 coats (second is almost dry) and it looks awful.

I cleaned and lightly sanded the radiator first with 120 sandpaper and am using Hammerite metal paint as recommended by screwfix.

Judging by the attached photos, is it best to wait, sand down and start again from scratch, or apply a third coat when dry. My gut says the first. Not exactly sure what has gone wrong. Radiator is cold, too.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    (n)

4. pemble

pemble

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm guess that's the issue. I was told by screwfix that it was fine.

5. Chivas69

Chivas69

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can buy water based radiator paint which I find very good. I use Ronseal. 750ml is about 15 quid.
    I'm not sure what has happened with yours. It looks like the paint has been too thick and dragged all over the place. Or you painted it using a broom!
    Edited because after broom I added a winking smiley as it was meant to be a joke!
    I'd definitely sand it down and either thin down the paint you have or get some water based radiator paint which is easy to apply.
    How long did you leave it between coats? With such paint you sort of have to be very fast as it starts drying as soon as you put it on so when you then slightly go over it it pulls the paint!

Last edited: 20 Mar 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. pemble

pemble

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I probably did put it on pretty thick haha. It doesn't look quite as bad now but still not great! Thanks for your advice - will go with that today :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sponsored Links
  8. sparkwright

sparkwright

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hammerite is the problem.

Virtually any paint would have been acceptable, but that thick gooey stuff is not good for large areas.

You should wait for the paint to harden properly, and I mean properly.

Then sand down to get a nice even surface.

Radiator paint is available, but you could get away with ordinary oil-based undercoat followed by oil-based gloss or satin top coat.

All bare metal should be appropriately primed.

Personally I prefer to use oil-based paints over metal surfaces rather than water-based, but that's just me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pemble

pemble

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    @sparkwright Thank you, appreciate it.

I'll leave it til next weekend, give it a good sand and clean up and try Ronseal or Johnstones radiator paint.

I'm assuming I don't need an undercoat if putting radiator paint onto the sanded previous paint? Excuse my ignorance with DIY

10. Lickdan

Lickdan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have used hammertoe to do a rad and never had a bad finish like that, what brush did u use

11. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I suspect that you were using the traditional cellulose thinners based Hammerite. That stuff goes off very quickly (read:"dries" quickly).

I use it from time to time on exterior metal gates and cast iron soil pipes but I would never want to use it to hand paint a radiator.

Other things being equal, I would rather use oil based undercoat and oil based eggshell to paint a radiator. The caveat being that wet clothes on a radiator can result in the paint flaking, particularly if the rad had previously been painted with emulsion.

With regards to the Ronseal or Johnstones rad paint. An undercoat wont be need provided that you sand the hammerite first to provide a "key".

12. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local