Repainting Victorian Window Sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been looking through the forum for the last hour or so now and I'm still not sure about how exactly to repaint/restore my window sills (sandstone?).

They are currently an off-yellow colour with many layers of paint with a few areas that are beginning to crack and peel in some places. We would really like to turn them in to a nice bright white. I'm sure you cannot just paint directly over the top but I was wondering how much of the original paint needs to be removed? What's the best way to remove it? What's the best product(s) for the new paint?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart

Sponsored Links
Ours were buttercup yellow, now green colour.

Scrapped off loose bits, then gave the cills and lintels a light sanding with medium grade paper & block, just to rough-up.
Then two coats of masonry paint... Job done.

If you've got any cracks and holes to fill in the cills etc, I used Toupret Murex Exterior Filler, sanded and two coats of masonry paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back