Repair or replace lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I have a roof problem that I'm hoping I can get some advice on.

I have a two floor 1907 farmhouse that has a ground floor gable end extension. The extension has a slate roof and the abutment between the extension roof and the wall of the main farmhosue is weatherproofed by lead flashing. The lead is cut into the stone of the gable end, drops about 4 inches to the roof line, then travels about 4-5 inches to the slates where it then sits underneath the first column. The end of the lead under the slates has historically had a lipped curve, so that any water running under the slates is directed downwards to the gutter.

However, over time, the lip has become flattened along the line of the lead under the slates and is now a flat fold. That means that water coming off the lead is dropping off the end of the lead under the tiles and through the boards underneath into the attic of the extension. It's then soaking into the rafters and is making its way into the plaster of the extension walls. :eek:

So, I'm trying to figure out what's the best fix. There's about 11 linear metres of lead on both sides of the roof at the moment. So getting underneath the slates and tryign to restore the lip might take some time. The alternative, I think is taking the lead up (and maybe off) and putting in new soakers. But I'm not sure how much a job like that would cost. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts and advice appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Sponsored Links
obviously not ideal
couple of options as i see it.
1/ the easiest, fit another flashing over the existing one but have a cover flashing over the slate leaving the existing secret gutter in place. This will reduce any water getting under the slate and any that does will be minimal.
2/ strip out the slates remove the underlying lead system, reslate using a soaker system poperly positioned. then re flash the wall as required.
11 metres might tak you a while..but with good safe access not tricky

I've had my slate roof completely re-done in the last year (and I can recommend an excellent roofer), but I'm having trouble understanding your installation. Surely there is no way that a correct installation relies on a lip at the edge of the lead? If you have a leak, I'd suspect that the original installation is not correct, as water off the edge of the lead should be carried away on more slate, but it sounds as though there is a layer of slate missing. Have I misunderstood?

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Thanks for the replies and thoughts. I hadn't thought about putting another flashing over the existing one. I'm not sure how that would be secured above the slates. The prevailing wind would be driving into the leading edge above the slates, so the risk would be that water could get underneath. But I could see how it would be a big improvement to what I have now.

Thje soaker solution feels liek the best option. But I'm not sure that it's one for an amateur? How tough is it to get the soakers into th eright shape and installed. Should I be speaking to a roofer and any views on how much I should be expecting to pay?

Thanks
Brian

Hi all

Thje soaker solution feels liek the best option. But I'm not sure that it's one for an amateur? How tough is it to get the soakers into th eright shape and installed. Should I be speaking to a roofer and any views on how much I should be expecting to pay?

Thanks
Brian
I googled "lead flashing to slate roof " and found on the first page "example of a slate and lead roof ........." it`s a company website advertising their work but shows a good example of the soakers - and how easy they are to install - to an existing roof ,in your case ;) Looks like they have added them to a secret gutter next to a leaded parapet - very similar to what you have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back