Repairing a hole in lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A slate fell off the scaffolding onto a newly laid lead apron , and I only noticed after I have laid a drip bead over the lead and rendered the whole wall that it had pierced the lead . It's not a big hole but obviously I'd like to fix it up the best way . As I've dropped the bead over the turn it won't be easy to replace the lead , I don't really want to patch the hole with flash tape. Is it possible to fill the hole with melted lead ? I've tried looking up online but all I can find is about lead sheet welding . Also the roof the apron is on isn't battened and slated yet but I think the hole would be above a slate not on the drop of the wall .

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
all I can find is about lead sheet welding . .
That's the way to do it. In my opinion. I was a properly apprenticed plumber. Always open to new/different ideas/fixes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Any properly apprenticed & trained plumber is trained in most all aspects of lead work.
No need for any lead burning on a roof - perhaps boss the hole shut.
Bossing, OP, is merely beating around the edges of the hole to move the lead over the opening.
Or slip a 150mm wide piece of lead under the in-place piece, & drive it into the chase?

Why not post a photo, then a solution will instantly become clear?
Quite how you've fixed the render bead/bell cast over the lead chase is a mystery?

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
Sorry for the late reply and thxs for your comments . Here is a photo , I have since had a roofer to look at it and he said 1) because they will use soakers it's not a problem and he'll just fill it with lead Sealant for asthetic purposes. 2) it's not on the drop of the wall but above a slate so it's not needed replacing . Concerning the bell cast bead , I always drop them just over the turn of the lead as it generally is nicer to look at and also adds a bit more protection concerning opportunist thieves, I'm only talking a few Mm .