Repairing a hole in lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A slate fell off the scaffolding onto a newly laid lead apron , and I only noticed after I have laid a drip bead over the lead and rendered the whole wall that it had pierced the lead . It's not a big hole but obviously I'd like to fix it up the best way . As I've dropped the bead over the turn it won't be easy to replace the lead , I don't really want to patch the hole with flash tape. Is it possible to fill the hole with melted lead ? I've tried looking up online but all I can find is about lead sheet welding . Also the roof the apron is on isn't battened and slated yet but I think the hole would be above a slate not on the drop of the wall .

Sponsored Links
all I can find is about lead sheet welding . .
That's the way to do it. In my opinion. I was a properly apprenticed plumber. Always open to new/different ideas/fixes.

Last edited:
Any properly apprenticed & trained plumber is trained in most all aspects of lead work.
No need for any lead burning on a roof - perhaps boss the hole shut.
Bossing, OP, is merely beating around the edges of the hole to move the lead over the opening.
Or slip a 150mm wide piece of lead under the in-place piece, & drive it into the chase?

Why not post a photo, then a solution will instantly become clear?
Quite how you've fixed the render bead/bell cast over the lead chase is a mystery?

Sponsored Links
image.jpeg
Sorry for the late reply and thxs for your comments . Here is a photo , I have since had a roofer to look at it and he said 1) because they will use soakers it's not a problem and he'll just fill it with lead Sealant for asthetic purposes. 2) it's not on the drop of the wall but above a slate so it's not needed replacing . Concerning the bell cast bead , I always drop them just over the turn of the lead as it generally is nicer to look at and also adds a bit more protection concerning opportunist thieves, I'm only talking a few Mm .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back