Repair or replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Just ripped out the tiles around the bath and sink of a nine year old house which is dry lined/studded wall...

Tiles mostly come off OK around sink with no damage, but around bath just had to admit defeat and pull off the board. Behind I see it was dot n dabbed....

Now, if you can image, I have a nice hole in the plasterboard at tile level. I am wondering if I can offer up some board and slot it in and plaster in the gaps, or if it would be prudent to take the board back to ceiling level and start again. It is going to be tiled over complete to the top, and I was intending to get someone in to skim over the ceiling, so would assume that he would be able to cope with some of the larger gaps...

Any suggestions....

Cheers,

Mark

Sponsored Links
It’s possible to cut back & make a repair by letting in & re-plastering but it's going to be fiddly. If it’s around the bath, I would take it off right up to the ceiling & start again but use Aquapanel rather than PB & tile straight onto that.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I came to that conclusion myself earlier today, but whilst I was working I thought I could make this good, and I have some pretty nice square lines now. Trouble is if I battened and reboarded it is well within my capabilities...but if I attempt a repair I will be out on a limb....

Mark

I've been reading and reading posts on the subject and realise that aquapanel is the best bet, with battens etc.

Now, as I read that aquapanel must be battened, can an alternative like moisture resistant gyproc be put in place with gripfill/adhesive etc?

Also, maybe a dumb question....the good areas of plasterboard have a good two or three coats of paint from over the years...can this be tiled over?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Oh... I was reading a post and the guy spoke directly to Knauf who were adamant that it must be battened..... all the better if not....

OK, I am stripping back to the ceiling...it is actually going quite well as there seems to be a lack of dabs of dobs up there....

Mark

Oh... I was reading a post and the guy spoke directly to Knauf who were adamant that it must be battened..... all the better if not....

we d & d it to the wall first then drill and fix through the dabs once they have set. the dabs merely act as spacers to give a perfect upright board.

because the dabs are compressible, they are an easy and quick way to fit an upright board to an out-of-plumb wall.

the dabs (dry wall adhesive) do offer some grab, certainly enough to secure the board, until fixed mechanically.

we d & d it to the wall first then drill and fix through the dabs once they have set. the dabs merely act as spacers to give a perfect upright board.

because the dabs are compressible, they are an easy and quick way to fit an upright board to an out-of-plumb wall.

the dabs (dry wall adhesive) do offer some grab, certainly enough to secure the board, until fixed mechanically.

Exactly how I did mine on an extreamly rough wall!

Cheers guys...much appreciated.....

Even though my house is only nine years old...pretty alarmed how out of plumb the walls are and can see why they d 'n' d it......

Will be good for me to learn a new trick anyway..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back