repairing a dodgy mains cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

In my cellar I've found a run of cable on my main circuit that looks like it's got a bit of a botched connection. Its seems that two cables are joined together with a mass of insulating tape. I've not looked to see if there's and connectors under the tape and I can't tell by feeling. It seems a bit dodgy to me (I'm a novice DIYer) Should I remove the tape and connect the two cables via a junction box?

Any advice greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
Best not to poke it with your fingers lol.

But yeah, it would be worth using a junction box. Just make sure you turn the power off first.

Might be worth getting a PIR done too, as you could have other cables like this in your house

Edit: By 'mains cable' I'm guessing you meant for a ring final circuit?(supplying sockets) and not the main cables that feed your consumer unit?

yeah its my main radial circuit (old house).

Am i right in thinking junction boxes have different amp ratings and I need one that matches the rating of my circuit breaker?

Matches or exceeds. Your radial is probably fused at 20A, so a 30A or 32A rated box is good. Remember to green/yellow sleeve over the earth wires, and make the earth wires longer than the live and neutral, if you can.

Sponsored Links
If there is a proper crimped joint under the tape it's probably better left alone. Just place the crimps inside a box without disturbing them.

TicklyT said:
If there is a proper crimped joint under the tape it's probably better left alone. Just place the crimps inside a box without disturbing them.

thanks. i'll investigate further. if it's crimped i'll leave it. if its not i'll use a junction box to make it safer.

The Urban Dictionary defines 'yoink' as:

Yoink

An exclamation that, when uttered in conjunction with taking an object, immediately transfers ownership from the original owner to the person using the word regardless of previous property rights.

example
Though I cherished my automobile, I had to purchase a new one when my second cousin came up from behind me and politely exclaimed, "Yoink" while taking my car keys.

TTC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back