Repairing broken pvc internal window cill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've had previous owner fitted wardrobes removed and walls in the same room replastered - and one pvc window cill was cut short to fit the old wardrobes and a chunk broken off when the wardrobes were taken out.

I'd like to replace or cover both the cills (there are two indentical windows in the room) with something to replace or hide this small broken section. Can anyone advise?

I've found these Eurocell Cill Repair Covers that might work, but I'm wondering if there are other options in dealing with this without removing the whole window.

Sponsored Links
There's so little left on the broken side that once the architrave is put back, the cill wont even reach it.

Sponsored Links
It you are fitting timber architraves, why not cut away the sill and fit a timber nosing?

I wasn't going to fit timber architrave, the windows are all UPVC so I was just going to match that and what was there before.

But is this a simple enough job? I assume there isn't a pvc equivilant nosing?

Looks to be plenty , cut square all to same dimension and use smaller trim.

As far as I can tell, it's not very much. The unbroken ends yes - but the broken one has lost a lot and so even with 65mm trim rather than what was 95mm, it's not leaving much if anything on that one side. But yes, it would lessen the impact!

As far as I can tell, it's not very much. The unbroken ends yes - but the broken one has lost a lot and so even with 65mm trim rather than what was 95mm, it's not leaving much if anything on that one side. But yes, it would lessen the impact!
Use narrower trim

Use narrower trim
that's as narrow as I can go without having to do some better plastering work than I can manage. The gaping holes around the edges of the windows were mostly filled recently, to improve on a cheap window installation by previous house owners, but it wasn't done perfectly right up to the window frame as my assumption was that the trim would cover it.

I can go further than the 95mm trim that was there before (and all of that was needed to cover the holes, which I assume housed weights etc in original sash windows) but 65mm is pushing it and will still involve me patching up some edges.

I'm going to repeat myself. If it were me, I'd square the broken edge/side off with an oscillating tool or whatever else would get the job done Then I'd cut the longer edge to the same length. If cutting the longer edge down creates a gap, plaster over.

Job done. Saves mucking about trying to find and attach another piece of trim to fit over. I think the shorter cill ends look better, although I appreciate that's subjective.

I'm going to repeat myself. If it were me, I'd square the broken edge/side off with an oscillating tool or whatever else would get the job done Then I'd cut the longer edge to the same length. If cutting the longer edge down creates a gap, plaster over.

Job done. Saves mucking about trying to find and attach another piece of trim to fit over. I think the shorter cill ends look better, although I appreciate that's subjective.
I agree that could work, but as I said the broken end is so short already that once the trim is added it wont go much beyond and will probably end up being shorter than the others. But yes, it will be less noticable than it is currently.

I wasn't going to fit timber architrave, the windows are all UPVC so I was just going to match that and what was there before.

But is this a simple enough job? I assume there isn't a pvc equivilant nosing?

You can get hockey stick uPVC window boards. I theory you could cut away part of the flat to leave you with the required profile, but there will be no way to fix it as is, unless you screw a timber nosing to the wall and glue the uPVC profile to it.

Not something that I have attempted to do though.

Alternatively, you could use some uPVC rectangular beading

Not sure of the best way to glue it to the wall though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back