Repairing ceiling cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having fun in the loft:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/is-it-safe-to-board-this-loft.485813/
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/fall-through-the-ceiling.489441/

I've noticed a few cracks in the ceiling. No doubt caused by using an impact driver to screw into joists. What's the best way to cover it up?
IMG_9085.jpg
IMG_9088.jpg
IMG_9096.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nothing. SWMBO has got me on other projects for now. I still have no idea how to tackle other than to maybe try force some filler through and paint over.

Sponsored Links
Nothing. SWMBO has got me on other projects for now. I still have no idea how to tackle other than to maybe try force some filler through and paint over.

The cracks around the ceiling perimeter are where the joint tape and compound has cracked. You may need to remove the tape back to a solid area to get the best results. If it's not too big of an area, you could then just fill the area flush and caulk the joint between wall and ceiling, If its a large section, it's advisable to replace the tape and skim over with something like Easifill, or a ready mixed joint compound. Videos on taping and filling repairs may help show you what I mean, if you don't understand.

The textured ceiling will just be a case of pushing filler into the cracks, as you mentioned, and blending it in as best you can. Wiping it over with a damp sponge as you go will help.

As for the flat ceiling with the cracked filler, you will need to ensure the plasterboard if fixed tightly to the joists above, so that there is no movement in them. If there is movement, use plasterboard screws along the edges of each side of the cracks to fix the boards until they are solid (being careful of cables/pipes above). Ideally you should scrape off all of the filler that is visible so that you can make a better job of the repair, then you can use the tape and fill method, mentioned above, to blend in the repair. You can use scrim tape to help stop the cracks from re-appearing but it may be difficult to cover without being noticeable. Since I moved to the States, I've been using paper tape for this kind of repair, and it works well. It also has the advantage of being thinner that scrim and so can be 'feathered in' with the compound to make it far less visible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back