Repairing damaged external wooden window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have some external wooden windows that are about 20 years old and south facing. I believe they are sun damaged, or have just been weathered over the years, and do at least need a lick of paint if not more. I’ve attached some photos but am at a loss about how to approach a repair. Do I need a filler of some sort to fill in the cracks, sand then down, and then a paint? Any products, brands or method advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 258
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 258
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 270
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 250
Sponsored Links
The paint is pretty ropey, so scrape and sand off to expose the timber beneath and re-inspect. If there are signs of rot in areas (punky or soft timber which can easily be dug out with a blunt screwdriver) the affected areas should be raked out with as wire brush, treated with a wood hardener (such as Bonda Wood Hardener) then filled with a 2-pack wood filler, sanding off to finish. Repaint the lot afterwards

Thanks for the response. I read wooden windows should last a really long time if treated well. I can only assume these have not been.

• Can you recommend a paint brand that would be suitable to protect a wooden external window?
  • Would you think these can be restored to good condition following your advice or would you think they have served their time and need replacing? A couple of the double glazed panes at the back of the house that need this repair are already misted.
  • Do you think this damaged is caused by the sun? The north facing front of the house frames are in good condition still and are the same age...

Thanks again.

Good morning aex, do the wood repairs as jobandknock suggested. Your windows have been stained with a mahogany colour. Sand down rigorously to get back to the wood. Sikkens basecoat of rosewood and 2 topcoats will bring them back to new. As for the glass, the units have failed, simply replace the affected ones the windows should be good for another 10 years. Sikkens web site will direct you to your local stockists. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
My frames were of a similar age, but I added alloy frame DG inserts into the existing frames. Which made the windows somewhat better, but it proved to be only a temporary fix, the actual frames continued to degrade despite my best attempts to look after them. I decided to replace the lot with modern complete DG, it was well worthwhile, for the peace of mind.

Good morning aex, do the wood repairs as jobandknock suggested. Your windows have been stained with a mahogany colour. Sand down rigorously to get back to the wood. Sikkens basecoat of rosewood and 2 topcoats will bring them back to new. As for the glass, the units have failed, simply replace the affected ones the windows should be good for another 10 years. Sikkens web site will direct you to your local stockists. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response and for the colour tip. Finding the sikkens paint in stores is challenging at the moment. Would this alternative be ok? and could this be applied directly to wood as a primer and then given the extra 2 coats of same product? https://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-exterior-woodstain-satin-deep-mahogany-750ml/895fg

My frames were of a similar age, but I added alloy frame DG inserts into the existing frames. Which made the windows somewhat better, but it proved to be only a temporary fix, the actual frames continued to degrade despite my best attempts to look after them. I decided to replace the lot with modern complete DG, it was well worthwhile, for the peace of mind.

I fear I might be fighting a losing battle with the windows. I have at least five triple panelled windows to do so I’m worried it could all be in vein. I could at least try one and if the results are poor think about replacing them.

I personally would only recommend Sikkens, used it for over 15 years with nothing but praise. There maybe others on here that can recommend ronseal. Sorry only endorse products I have used and trust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back