Repairing garage door's post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to cut out the bottom rotten part of the side post. Was gonna go wood or repair care or both. I noticed the back of thing supporting door is screwed into post and a screw or two into rotten part. Gonna use hand saw to cut it out. It's an electric garage door
20230907_164010.jpg
20230907_163147.jpg
20230907_163056.jpg
20230907_162215.jpg

Sponsored Links
Go for it, an angle cut is preferred to maximise the glue up area, but clamping the replacement piece next to the existing with an overlap will give you a good fit. Either way repair care and screwing/bolting the new piece will give a tidy sandable finish. Take note of where any hinges or furniture will go and avoid a join at that point.

Blup

Go for it, an angle cut is preferred to maximise the glue up area, but clamping the replacement piece next to the existing with an overlap will give you a good fit. Either way repair care and screwing/bolting the new piece will give a tidy sandable finish. Take note of where any hinges or furniture will go and avoid a join at that point.

Blup
I'm gonna need to put in 70cm. How do I cut the angle in. Is there a standard measurement for this timber? I measured 7cm x 9cm. Treated timber? I was told use framing screws used in pvc windows to attach it

I'm gonna need to put in 70cm. How do I cut the angle in. Is there a standard measurement for this timber? I measured 7cm x 9cm. Treated timber? I was told use framing screws used in pvc windows to attach it
If your skilled then with a hand saw, resin repair will smooth out the imperfections. Cut the angle on the new wood first and then use that to scribe against the existing bit of frame to be cut out. Leave a gap at the bottom to avoid damp.

Blup

Sponsored Links
If it were me, a DIYer, I would cut the existing post first, I think I'd find it easier to make finite adjustments to the replacement post if necessary, then just lop a smidge off the bottom for the gap.

If your skilled then with a hand saw, resin repair will smooth out the imperfections. Cut the angle on the new wood first and then use that to scribe against the existing bit of frame to be cut out. Leave a gap at the bottom to avoid damp.

Blup

Local joiner would cut plane a piece to size and cut the angle for scribing. Not treated wood though

RepairCare is chuffin expensive these day.

I have recently started using Oxera. I used to use TimbaBuild, but their prices have jumped too.

£25 for a tube of 1 or 4 hour resin (with free delivery). You will however need the gun, they charge £32.

The RepairCare gun that is part of their introduction kit is over priced plastic rubbish. The Oxera gun is the same as the TimbaBuild gun, and all metal.

£57 for a gun and a tube, is only slightly more than a single tube of RepairCare.

I would only consider using RepairCare in the coldest parts of winter. They have a resin that cures at very low temperatures.

RepairCare is chuffin expensive these day.

I have recently started using Oxera. I used to use TimbaBuild, but their prices have jumped too.

£25 for a tube of 1 or 4 hour resin (with free delivery). You will however need the gun, they charge £32.

The RepairCare gun that is part of their introduction kit is over priced plastic rubbish. The Oxera gun is the same as the TimbaBuild gun, and all metal.

£57 for a gun and a tube, is only slightly more than a single tube of RepairCare.

I would only consider using RepairCare in the coldest parts of winter. They have a resin that cures at very low temperatures.
£159 brewers. I guess on garage doors use it to smooth out anything alongside wood. I'll get your recommended product

£159 brewers. I guess on garage doors use it to smooth out anything alongside wood. I'll get your recommended product

I think that might be the introductory kit rather than the total price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back