Repairing Gas Hobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have four gas hobs, one of which fires up instantly, one is intermittent and two just sit there clicking away without firing up when the ignition switch is pressed. Gas does come out, but they are not lighting. Is this something I can fix myself?

Sponsored Links
Hmmmmm I wouldn't attempt it myself. It could be your or your families lives at stake. How would you test for leakages? Could you ever be 100% sure?

Gas is best left for experts, no matter how easy you think it will be. Could you live with the consequences?

Check that the burner plate is not blocked and preventing the spark to cross the burner, also check the that the jet beneath the burner plates are not clogged up.
You don't need any tools to access this area, it is just general maintenance at the hob burners.

Dirt and dampness on the ceramic insulator around the sprk electrode is the most common reason there is no ignition. Try cleaning them. Or the electrode has eroded away making the gap between electrode and burner too wide for the spark to jump.

Sponsored Links
You have said that Gas comes out when turning the Gas taps on, Is that correct ? If so and the other burners work OK, it should be possible to light the faulty ones with a taper due to the faulty ignitor, and control with the Gas taps in the usual way. If not call a registered Gas safe engineer.
The above should prove that it`s a fault with the ignitor ! You can hear it clicking so it is powered by battery or plugged in this enables the spark generator to work so it must a faulty probe or connection to it. Try cleaning around the probe and burner, test by checking for a spark, if no spark (assuming batteries are giving a good enough spark) it could also be probe gap too big or wiring connection to that probe, if that`s the case call a service engineer. Failing that most people just buy a hand held piezo ignitor.

Fix as in clean-up etc. Yes, why not.

The obvious bits come apart (often just lift apart - leave anything that needs tools), as they get filled with all sorts. A brass brush can be useful. Ignitor/s can usually be visually checked without any gas on (compare one with another).

If you've got everything clean, dry and all looks servicable but still not performing then I'd pass over to the gas forum - but you'll probably get a short response beginning with - call out as GS technician.

Hmmmmm I wouldn't attempt it myself. It could be your or your families lives at stake. How would you test for leakages? Could you ever be 100% sure?

Gas is best left for experts, no matter how easy you think it will be. Could you live with the consequences?

This is nothing to do with gas safe. It is electrics, probably just a matter of cleaning the electrode.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back