how gas hob ignition work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
Can someone explain to me how gas hob ignition work. Our whirlpool gas hob ignition stopped working, I switch the main switch off on the right hand side of the hob off (it has 3 am fuse, and written on it HOB) lifted up the ignition from the side of the hob, and disconnected from a little transparent plastic box where two wires are connected, both are the same colure black and white. I then switch the switched on and tested both wires, I was expecting that one of the wire would be live, and when the ignition is pressed the centricity then flows to the other wirer to the ring., but not of them is live.
I am right in assuming this?

Sponsored Links
The spark is created from an electronic circuit which produces a much higher voltage than the 230v supplied from the mains, typically several thousand volts.
The wires to the switch activate this circuit - what voltage they are at depends entirely on how the system was designed.

If the ignition is not working, then either:
1. The fuse has blown - try another one
2. There is no power getting to the fused spur with the fuse in it.
2. The switch in the hob is broken or wires are loose somewhere - this can be easily confirmed using a continuity tester or multimeter with the power OFF.
3. The spark generator module has failed - replacements can be obtained for most hobs.

cooks-matches.jpg

Sponsored Links
Eat them cold - much nicer.

Stir in a generous slug or two of Chipotle Tabasco.

Hi Flameport,
Tanks for the reply
I have checked points 1 & 2 in your reply. The fuse is working and there is electricity going to the wire connected “load” in the switch. The switch is working, when I turned it off , there is no electricity going to the “load”. All I need to understand is where the two thin black and white colure wires are connected to, are they connected to the spark generator module, I can not see them as they are going under the hob. Should one of them be live, I can not detect any electricity in any of them. Furthermore I pulled them gently and they seem to be attached to something at the other end, they are not lose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back