Repairing GRP Valley Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

IMG_20231231_130628.jpg

Whilst repairing something below the roofline in our new extension I've managed to cut the grp valley board with a recip saw.

Replacing the valley board isn't really an option, can I rub back around the cut probably an inch all around then fibreglass in new matting?

How important is it to put gel coat over the repair? I've plenty of resin and matting from something else but no gel coat.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Is it ok to do the gel coat at a later date?

There's supposed to be a 6 hour dry spell tomorrow so I could get the mat and resin done, let it dry then cover with duct tape or similar then do the gel coat Wednesday (earliest I can get some.)

Thanks
Chris

Is it ok to do the gel coat at a later date?

There's supposed to be a 6 hour dry spell tomorrow so I could get the mat and resin done, let it dry then cover with duct tape or similar then do the gel coat Wednesday (earliest I can get some.)

Thanks
Chris
Yes but make sure the resin bit is completely dry (hit it with a hairdryer or heat gun or something to make sure there's no condensation trapped in it), rough it up and acetone wash before you topcoat it.
TBH you could just duct tape the damaged bit then do the job as a oner when you've got the gear

Sponsored Links
IMG_20240106_111431.jpg

Rubbed down with 80 grit.

IMG_20240106_123559.jpg

Wiped down with acetone then that's 4 layers of fibreglass tissue applied, I'll let that dry whilst I watch wor Eddie do the mackems.

I then plan to 80 grit the whole area again, acetone wipe the apply the gel coat..

Not due rain for a few days now so should get a good chance to dry.

IMG_20240106_150124.jpg

Rubbed down the fibreglass

IMG_20240106_150504.jpg

And covered in gelcoat, unfortunately I could only get white in a small amount at a reasonable price but I've some grey paint I'll cover it with at a later date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back