repairing HDPE water butt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Plysu brand HDPE waterbutt has a 30mm crack in the bottom. Nothing much sticks to polyethylene and all my attempts to seal the leak have failed.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Their is no glue that will bond to polyethylene. Your only chance, if you wish to try, is to weld it together.

Cut a small section from the top rim or the lid, and use that as a patch and weld it on somehow. Soldering iron or small blowtorch maybe?

Sponsored Links
Cut a small section from the top rim or the lid, and use that as a patch and weld it on somehow. Soldering iron or small blowtorch maybe?

That may work, but do not melt the material, you have to try to get it to fuse together.
This is how you weld poly pipes by fusion welding

I did repair mine - I think that I used black guttering sealant - sorry can't recall the name - but it stopped the leak.

Was your butt one of the large ones? Mine was. I don't think they're strong enough - water is heavy stuff and must mean a lot of stress for large butts. So when I bought two more butts I got the smaller size. I also seated them on old doormats so as to minimize the chance of 'punctures' from small stones or uneven seating.

go to your nearest place that sell ponds & pond liners and buy a sealant called innotec, its not cheap, about £15 - £20 for a 300ml tube,
this stuff will stick to and seal polyethylene and just about anything, clean your butt base, apply some of this and spread over the crack area
with your finger, pressing the edges down tight, you can fill your butt straight after, but do wear disposable gloves it doesn't wash off your hands,
if your gloves split it takes about a week to wear black grime off your fingers. :LOL:

forgot, you need it on the inside so the weight of water isn't pushing it off.

Thanks chaps. I'll try welding a scrap of similar polyethylene using a soldering iron and for belt and braces use some Sikaflex inside (works well underwater on my boat). The split came from resting the butt on a couple of casually built dwarf brick walls. A smooth paving stone would probably be better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back