Repairing main water feed into the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I have managed to puncture the main water pipe into the house. I have dug around it and done a temporary repair with a bit of hosepipe and a couple of jubilee clips.

The pipe is copper and has a od measurement of about 15.3mm, is this 5/8"? Also the mains stopcock in the road I know to be jammed solid. So tomorrow when the Plumcentre is open I will shoot off to get the bits to repair it. I'm thinking I will need a freezing kit to stop the flow from the mains and a couple of converters to marry the old pipe in to the new 15mm patch. Am I right in this aproach and exactly what type of fittings are best for the job?

Many thanks for any help you can give me

Colin

Sponsored Links
Sounds like imperial half inch (internal). 15mm compression fittings will fit. There is a leak repair coupling, like a long comp fitting wth one un"stopped" end which would do. The olive would be tight, sometimes vigorous pipe cleaning is required.
Supposed to be "dezincification resistant" brass underground but I wouldn't lose sleep over that, it isn't ideal to have compression fittings, or even copper ppe, underground. Dahn sahf I haven't seen copper mains underground.

ChrisR said:
Dahn sahf I haven't seen copper mains underground.

Can't get any further Sahf than "Location: Antarctica" :LOL:

A good fitting to put on is an open valve, then, if the water flow isn't stopped, you can fix it while being squirted, then turn it off and continue in the dry.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris.

It certainly looks like copper pipe, its been underground 46 years now and felt pretty rough to the touch?

Ive not heard of leak repair couplings are they like normal straight comp fittings? Would I be better off soldering it? Not a problem I'm a welder by trade

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back