Repairing MDF WM Door - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All

Can I get some advice please. Read the various threads and this is nearest to my issue, but not exact problem.

I want to seal an MDF door for an integrated WM - pictures below. The front is looks fine but inside base and inside top corners have split.

What should I use to seal the areas where it has blown? Also just read about denibbing, and as is an unseen area do I need to do this too?

Am thinking of this Shellac based primer - I don't need an overcoat/finish off as again is an unseen area.

https://www.diy.com/departments/zin...ercoat-spray-paint-400ml/5037898610467_BQ.prd

Advice really appreciated, thanks.

PS: Images seem to show damage/condition a lot worse than it is!

Attachments

• IMG_2023.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2017.jpg
    IMG_2017.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2019.jpg
    IMG_2019.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2020.jpg
    IMG_2020.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
I would just buy a new door. Do you know where the kitchen came from?

@Lower - Thanks, did consider this, is Howdens but 10+ years old ... so even if new, would be a different colour because of fading.

Will plough on and await others' thoughts.

Once MDF starts to blow there is precious little you can do with it - and your doors have blown. About the only thing which might work (and I emphasise might) is to treat the.damaged areas with wood hardener. TBH if your cabinets are OK you might be better off considering new door and drawer fronts, etc for the lot

Sponsored Links
So despite the fact that the rest of his kitchen fronts might just be fine you're saying replace the whole lot?

So despite the fact that the rest of his kitchen fronts might just be fine you're saying replace the whole lot?
No. I'm saying that any fix on a blown vinyl wrapped door is unlikely to succeed, at least in the longer term, in part because of the manufacturing methods used to produce this type of door (the same is true of foil-wrapped doors). The kitchen is 10 years old and the OP has already stated that an exact match replacement is no longer available, and that an exact match is desired - ergo if it can't be repaired the one way to get a good looking kitchen is to replace the doors, assuming that the carcasses, worktop, etc are in good condition and that the doors are standard sizes (which I believe Howdens are, with the exception of their in frame kitchens). Replacement wrapped doors aren't that exoensive especially if you avoid the likes of B&Q. Obvious, innit

Hi - this is the only blown door in the whole kitchen so think replacement budget is not there right now! Thanks re wood hardener - found this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-wet-rot-wood-hardener-clear-500ml/63540?_requestid=467572

... which I am hoping will seal the exposed areas and harden so as to protect against any future liquid/moisture absorption or exposure
As I think said, it's a maybe that it will work (I have used this in the past), but at least it should stop the blowing getting any worse for a while. Wear disposable gloves when using the stuff and use a cheap, throw away brush - this stuff is a polyurethane compound and will turn your skin black if touched (not harmful, but can take 4 or 5 days to wash off). It will also wreck the brush

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP has linked to wood hardener, he will need filler for the screw holes and voids too. Ronseal high performance wood filler is stated to be for external and internal use but ive never tried it for an area that will be constantly getting wet or damp. I appreciate it is for an integrated WM door and won’t be seen, but filling it before refitting it will surely extend the life of what is at worst a borderline bodge.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back