Repairing old plaster corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have tried searching but hasn't found what I am looking for.
I have just stripped the wallpaper off my living room walls to find that the plaster is pretty good apart from the external corners of the chimney and bay window. They currently have wooden corner beads, some of which are perfectly flush with the rest of the plaster, some are recessed and have been filled over - not a problem when the paper covered over any cracks, but not good for painting (as far as I am aware)
What are my options with out reskimming the whole wall?
Fitting thin coat metal beads on top of the wooden ones and feathering edges back into the rest of the wall?
Would that work if I feathered it back about 8-10inches?

If I took out the wooden beads I presumably would have to fill the void enough to get the new beads to sit level with the rest of the wall?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Agree with above.

My practice is never to remove original features if at all possible. Its simple to adjust round stick corners unless they are warped. But first pics.

Here you go - i have actually made a start by taking off the wooden beads, hacking back any loose plaster (more than i thought) and fix on some metal beading.
I am quite happy with how it is going so far - the ones under the window sill need their top coat, but so far so good!

Sponsored Links
Why are you asking for help with this business when you have already completed it?

I'm with ree on this I like to keep original features as well I even stripped off the old skim in my house along with beads and restored the original bullnose, there's not much to talk about now you have done that, good luck with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back