Repairing radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a leak in my radiator . I tried to move the radiator to a position where I could pour in Radweld . I managed to break a small diameter plastic pipe . As I dont have the money for a new radiator I though I might be able to glue the pipe back on? Could anyone tell me which type of glue would be best for this. Also can you pour the Radweld into the expansion tank ?

Many Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
Firstly I reckon the radiator is well and truly knackered. I can't think of a glue strong enough or resilient to heat. Sounds like a new radiator. As soon as you re-connect the hose and tighten the hose clamp it will probably just snap off again anyway.

Secondly, using Radweld can cause problems with the waterpump. I know a lot of people use the stuff but I wouldn't personally. It goes all through the system, not just the radiator and it tends to clog things (like the waterpump) over time.
Its good stuff if you plan to sell the car on though :D

If you really have to go down the glueing route,araldite is the stuff you need.You don't state your vehicle type,if it's a fairly common car you should be able to get a secondhand rad reasonably cheap.Geoff

Look for a second-hand radiator, but also ask around for the price of an exchange reconditioned one. Halfords or your local motorists's toyshop probably do them. If you get a used one make sure it is A LOT newer than your old one, and examine it very carefully for damage.

I use Araldite but it tends to go brittle and break off at high temperatures like teapots and radiators.

Sponsored Links
I'd also be a tad concerned about the pressure that'll build up in the system

Back